• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any welders out there???

hondarider550

Weld1, I guess I'm old school. I have a couple different digital helmets and I just don't care for them. Personal preferance I spose. My favorite helmet is prolly as old as my buzz box.

Hondarider, I'm non-union. I would be the wrong guy to talk about the boilermaker and pipefitters unions. I know some guys that would be willing to chat with ya about it, tho.

The cool thing about being a boilermaker is one day your a steam plant operator, another day your a steamfitter, another day your a millwright, another day your a pipefitter.....and so on and so on and so on. Sure I'd be willing to come chat with your class and show them all my bad habits. grin Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and we can set something up.

hondarider550, i am an asst bus mgr from that local in ramsey minn. we dont have jurisdiction in iowa, you would need to go there. the boilermakers have an apprenticeship program new people should go thru.i mainly deal with the shops and help out now and then with field stuff.

As the user name implies, I'm a boilermaker by trade. Started by running/fixing high pressure steam systems onboard ships and went to stationary systems. Boilermakers fix and build anything and everything.

I do a lot of welding at work. Mostly TIG. I'd rather TIG as I feel I have better control, make a LOT stronger weld, and I'm absolutely 100% confident of my weld when it's done. I can say this as I've been doing this for a few years. It's important when working with high pressures and nasty stuff flowing through pipes to be that confident of your work.

I have access to quite a lot of different equipment but I have to honestly say my all time favorite welder is my 1968 Lincoln "Buzz Box" in my garage. I swear, that thing lays the best beads I've ever seen. It's the machine I taught both my boys, my neighbor, and our fire chief how to lay a bead with.

hey boilerguy you may work and weld on boilers but you arent no boilermaker if you aint in the union. smirklaughgrinwhistle just givin ya a hard time boilerguy, ok. couldnt resist the opening.

i am a welder for a large trash company welding on anything from dumpsters,compactors,trucks and loaders mainly use wirefeed but stick on the road calls

i am looking to buy a welder but i have no idea where to start

i would use it to build and replace broken parts on my dock at the cabin and when something breaks like the gate on the trailer i want to be ale to fix it instead of shipping it off and i would like to build bumpers and a fish house trailer eventually

but i dont want to spend more than 500

thanks in advance

Elwood, were you able to find any photos of your fish house project? thanks for any help!

sorry weld1 I havent check this post in a while I got the photos on a memory card and can find the card now you've got wondering what and where it is? If I cant find them I will try to get back to the guy to see if he will let me snap some more of it.

Elwood, thanks for responding, pics would be awsome, otherwise i think your in the north metro area? im in otsego, maybe we could figure out something and take a look at it?? any how thanks again, i look forward to more info. Rich

the house is up at dennys resort on wini right now I think I might be up there over the 4th so I could snap a few pics for you to see.. if I cant get up there I will have a buddy thats got his house next to it snap some photos I was cleaning some stuff out of my gun cabinet and guess what I found so heres what I got on this memory card hope this helps weld1

132-Copy.jpg

133-Copy.jpg

135-Copy.jpg

136-Copy.jpg

138-Copy.jpg

139.jpg

elwood, thanks for the photos!! just a quick question, in the 1st and 2nd pics is that the "square" axle going through round tubing? if so what dia round tube was it if you remember? this must have been the reason you had to cut a good axle in half and reweld it? again thanks for the help!

I dont remember the size and I didnt cut the axle in half you have to take the spindal arms off and rework them if you look close at the pics you'll see that those are not the factory arms as these ones were made longer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.