• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on turning a shooter into a hunter

Rippinlip

Wondering if there is any advice that you may have for me or my wife.

My wife likes shooting bow alot, I have asked her if she would like to try and hunt and she said she does not think she could shoot an animal, but she is kind of on the fence with this one.

First thing I told her was I would never ever push her into hunting, I do not want to ruin what we have going, but I would support whatever she decides.

Both of us are just looking for things that could help her consider hunting.

Do I start with some small game?

I do not know, any advice?

Mark

Archerystud gives you good advice. I would maybe suggest a blind, you can get away with more movement and scent, and even a little more noise than you can up in a tree. I too would not push her to shoot the animal. She may have remorse which would kill you r chances of hunting with her again. But bring her along, you harvest the animal, yet allow her to be as much a part of the hunt as possible. Have her help you range the distance, have her track it, ect..

Dont push her, she may take to it, may not... at this point enjoy shooting and spending time together.

I think the first thing is to get her out in the woods with you. Instead of having her hunt maybe she could carry a camcorder and record your hunt.

Do you use animal targets when you practice?

Does she have any reservations about being in a tree stand? Like Deitz mentioned above a ground blind may be a good place to start.

Hey Deitz, It wasn't me but it was good advice.

I think the other advice I would give is to shoot in some kind of leagues or competitions. I used to shoot in winter leagues where we would have a shoot off at the end of the year in a head to head situation. In my case I'd be shooting against a member of the other team on the same bale. I always thought that this was one of the best ways to simulate the intensity of trying to get a shot off at a real animal in the woods.

Good Luck.

I didnt write taht very god.. I said you gave very good advice..

I should have started a new paragraph... Stud, your advice is always spot on in here.. Thank you for that..

I agree with you.. Head to head on the same bale, both on 300's.. 5 arrows to go.. thats about the exact feeling.. heart thumpin through the top of your head.. watching that 60's arrow drill the X is about as good as it gets!

Thanks.

I used to love that head to head feeling on the same bale!!! Although it still isn't quite to the same level as the real animal, it's the closest thing I can think of when target shooting.

I haven't shot indoor since I began coaching hockey. However, when the coaching days are over I need to get back into spot leagues!!!

I think most folks do better working their way up to big game hunting rather than starting right in with it. Squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, bowfising, grouse are all good ways to start hunting with out the emotional weight of killing a big game animal right off the bat.

Just take her out with you when you hunt. Let her watch the whole process. A ground blind is a great idea. Make her as comfortable as possible. Don't make her first time a hot bug infested day or a cold @ss freezing adventure.

From the female side- just take her out in the woods, no bows, no guns. Teach her what "sign" looks like, scrapings, buck rubs and turkey scratching, and on and on-there is so much to learn no matter what game you pursue-show her prickly ash and cockleburrs and what to avoid. Some people freak at the sound of a pileated woodpecker. In the spring, mushrooms ,trilliums and violets make a nice backdrop to the learning experience-when she feels "comfortable" in the woods, hunting may be the next step.

I really do appreciate all the advice, I am not going to push her, I should though I may need her ability on shooting.

We went to our first 3D shoot yesterday, and it was a royal butt kicking on her part, yes on the way home I had to take the ribbing, luckily it was only about 30 miles.

She did tell me yesterday that she was considering deer hunting.

I think she enjoyed the shooting and the company of others on the course or atleast being able to make wise cracks about my shooting on the course.

I also had a fun time watching my daughter on the practice range, she did not do the 3D shoot, but she also said maybe next time.

So I took some advice from here and we went on a long walk on a hiking trail, we did see some wildlife. Her and our daughter both seemed quite content with it..

Made our night rather enjoyable.