• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Was Your "Highlight" of Ice Season 2008-2009?

Shack

Since the ice season is pretty much at a close for most of the state, I figure I would start a thread where we can share/recap some of our "highlights" from this years ice season. Hard to believe it is over, seems it never really started and flew by too fast grin

Feel free to share with us what you did, where you went, what you bought or maybe a fish you caught that sticks out and you will remember for years to come.

My highlight of the ice season was getting back to LOW after a 10+ hiatus smile . It was an awesome trip and we got fish. The kicker was I won the trip threw AM1500 and it was an all inclusive trip to Ballard’s Resort. Every thing was free from bait, food, lodging, bus ride up (motor coach) and even fish cleaning. I took my brother in-law who has never been that far north fishing before and never on a trip anywhere like this. Never even been that close to Canada either crazy. We had a blast and lived ever minute of the trip to the "T".

Here he is in all his glory. He had to ride up front and made sure he got that spot wink

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Yep, for him and I, it was a trip of a lifetime. All my other trips in the past to LOW where motels in Baudy, back of truck riding in the topper on the way up (the young one always got that duty grin) and bring your own food for dinner (never ate out).

So, what is your highlight of the 2008-2009 season? smile

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am recently new to ice fishing. So going out with the kids and grands is a blast and we even manage to catch some fish. Mostly crappies and perch - but they eat good. Still waiting for open water up north here.

Sunset Bay and Meeting Paul in January.

The FM get-together on Tetonka and meeting others.

Just being able to fish with my wife and daughters and now thier boyfriends.

Of course with my ice fishing buddy Larry and Keith (fm member)

Some like the open water, give me ice and friends...

Mark

Hosting the Future FMers Get Together was probably the biggest highlight for me.

Other notables include ice fishing on November 17th in the metro, catching a couple 10" bluegills, and fishing 40+ different lakes.

Here is a photo called "Got One Dad!" of another one of my favorite highlights.

3398662537_3a65fa2c19.jpg

Taking my daughter out for the 1st time. We had the camera down and a 6lb northern came up and looked at the thing for a good 5 minutes. During that 5 minutes my daughter was just glued to the screen. About 2 minutes after the fish left, he came back and attacked the camera 3 different times. The look on her face was priceless and the anger in her voice. She was so upset that this fish was attacking my camera. After I finally got the thing to bite and up thruogh the hole, she was giving the fish a piece of her mind! She keeps asking me if I will be taking her out again next year which I will be.

Taking my daughter up to my house on mille lacs for an over-nighter with my buddy and his daughter the same age. we had a blast!!!

Also has to be a highlight that me and my buddy went up to mille lacs at the end of march as we do every year to chase perch, and ended up finally dialing into them and hitting our limits on saturday, and going out for a couple hours sunday and getting about 15 more.

My highlight doesn't involve any fish of size.

My buddy and I were fishin one day and it was slow to say the least. A few hours into it and he gets a bite, not even a second later I had a bite and set the hook hard. His rod jerked out of his hands and his rod went down the hole. I pulled up the lil perch and he had both hooks buried in his mouth then a rod tip came out of the water. I was in complete shock knowing that lil guy bit both of our jigs. I'll never forget that one.

Catching my first fish in Minnesota. My wife and I moved here in January, so it was a bit of an exploratory year on the ice for me this year. Had a great year however. I think I caught more fish in 1 day here than I did in 3.5 years in Northern Virginia.

I have a couple of highs

~went up to mille lacs and actully caught some fish, one keeper eye and a 5# and a 3# pout

~early season me and my buddy went out on a local lake and hammered crappies. We probably put 50+ fish in the house in 2 hours. They all went back down the hole to fight another day.

~catching my smallest sunnie which is my avatar.

My highlight was definetly my muskie. Funny thing is 2 days before I caught her we put our snowmobile in the water at 1 am. It was 24 below outside and had to get rescued by 911. Got the worst frost bite on my feet that I have ever seen. The day I caught that fish my feet were litterally BLACK.

My highlight was definetly my muskie. Funny thing is 2 days before I caught her we put our snowmobile in the water at 1 am. It was 24 below outside and had to get rescued by 911. Got the worst frost bite on my feet that I have ever seen. The day I caught that fish my feet were litterally BLACK.
Pretty lucky to make it out of that one wink

I would say taking 2 friends and my son perch fishing. 6 fish over 1#10. Having Jim tell me he caught 5 fish all weekend and it was the best trip he has ever had. The best was the morning my son called that he just got a 43", 23# northern, the sound in his voice when you are still shaking over what just happened. Priceless

mine was getting a portable and a flasher. last season I had a homemade shanty and no flasher.

sitting in a nice warm shack watching fish react to my jig was wonderful.

I was going to say the same thing. No more waiting for anyone or rounding up all the gear through friends and family. I picked up an auger as well.

The freedom to go when you want with your own gear = priceless.