• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Delmon Rant

SkunkedAgain

food for thought. there was a reason delmon was the top prospect in baseball at one time. he had elite contact ability and an extremely quick bat. It is foolish to give up on him at all.

Alex Rios was never as highly rated as Young. Rios has blossomed, but lacks delmons contact ability AND bat speed. Rios put it together at age 25. Should Delmon be given up on at 23?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more fun with numbers:

Fun comparison to start things off. For their first two seasons of more than 200 PA:

Player A: 1327 PA, 143 R, 41 2B, 18 3B, 4 HR, 105 RBI, 35 SB, 57 BB, 156 K, .292 BA, .326 OBP, .363 SLG, .689 OPS

Player B: 1304 PA, 145 R, 66 2B, 4 3b, 23 HR, 162 RBI,24 SB, 61 BB, 232 K, .290 BA, .326 OBP, .406 SLG, .733 OPS

To those who can't guess from my comparison earlier, Player A is Kirby Puckett's age 24-25 seasons. Player B is Delmon age 21-22 seasons. Definitely no way this kid ever turns a corner and becomes a useful cog in an offense.

i know its a stretch right now, but more proof that its foolish to sit him

I hate facts wink!! I suppose people can rely on things that are not facts? I would definately stick a fork in Delmon. He brings more to the plate, no pun indended then cuddy. Today or 5 years into the future. So now that Cuddy is scorching hot and NOT injured, we should put him out there as trade bait.

Your right Sled, Delmon was hot and did make a couple of nice catches, however the one he missed was poorly played. Never got into position to be able to make the play. He let the ball play him. Yes it was hit hard, but he had no chance because of bad positioning. If he could have left his feet a little he would have had a chance.

G.C.

Your right Sled, Delmon was hot and did make a couple of nice catches, however the one he missed was poorly played. Never got into position to be able to make the play. He let the ball play him. Yes it was hit hard, but he had no chance because of bad positioning. If he could have left his feet a little he would have had a chance.

G.C.

its was zinged and bending away from him. very hard to get those ones, but he played it very well of the wall

DELMON PUTTING ON A DEFENSIVE CLINIC LAST NIGHT!

For most Major Leaguers, those were routine fly ball outs, for Delmon, they weren't. He surely isn't the quickest guy out there, and I think everyone is surprised (even him) he got to them.

Oh I am, just have get the bats going. Man we are not hitting the ball. Our pitchers had a very bad 7th inning last nite, and after Lirano pitched a good game once he settled down, that was a downfall. I guess Toronto will be the team with our number this year. We have not done well against them dating back to last year. Hopefully all bats on deck for the weekend series with LA.

G.C.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
I am so torn right now as to what the OF/DH situation should be. Cuddyer and Span should be out there everynight, and I seriously want to give tubby a chance at DH, but that takes out Kubel. IDK right now. How about this- Span LF, Gomez CF and Cuddyer RF. Then let Casilla play 2nd, but let Delmon bat for him vs lefties (but Casilla runs if Delmon gets on) and Kubel DH.

I am not going to rant right now about Delmon, he has struck out a bunch, but had a couple decent at bats, but aside from Casilla batting left handed he has been a real stinker this season. Alot of coaches say nowadays that the rightie vs lefty matchups aren't all that important, maybe they should tell Casilla just to give up batting right handed

right now span is the only one that the team needs out there playing every game. none of the other three are doing much at all from an offensive standpoint (other than their batting stats which are very offensive).

when it comes right down to it, one could make the argument that the starting outfield should consist of span, kubel and gomez (gomez only from the standpoint that he's the strongest defensive player amongst him, cuddy, and young) and have buscher be the dh, at least against rh pitchers.

another thing to keep in mind though is that it is so early in the season so no need to panic yet. comparing baseball to football, we are approximately only about halfway through the 4th quarter of the first football game of the season if you look at it from that perspective.

ok fellas. I had a long talk with gardy after my last post. He was a little reluctant to make the complete change that I mentioned but thought maybe trying kubel in the of and buscher at dh was worth at least a try to see if it would shake things up but he wasn't going to bench cuddy. something about too much money to put on the bench. smirk Then gardy gave me a wink and asked me if I thought that delmon would pick it up if he put him back out in right and just let him be the regular rf for the next two weeks and see how he does. I said sure, why not but that wink made me think that ain't going to happen. blush

And has played in a quarter of the games which = less ABs to strike out (which he usually does)

what does this say about our $6 million dollar man when he's got fewer rbi's than young despite playing fulltime and getting one of the prime spots in the lineup for rbi opportunities?

Originally Posted By: zamboni
And has played in a quarter of the games which = less ABs to strike out (which he usually does)

what does this say about our $6 million dollar man when he's got fewer rbi's than young despite playing fulltime and getting one of the prime spots in the lineup for rbi opportunities?

Delmon will always be a stitch in my side until he figures out how to catch a simple fly ball without me having to put my hands over my eyes. My biggest hang up about him is his defensive skills- they are horrendous, and that can cost more runs than striking out at the plate. Take Punto for example, his "D" saves alot more runs than he will ever produce, that is just as important in may situations than a guy producing at the plate. Look, I am not saying Cuddyer is the guy I want up at the dish when the game is on the line, but as far as him Span and Young in the OF, Young comes in a very distant third.

They had a star trib poll and the question was "Who is playing too much" and Cuddy won in a lanslide. He got more votes than all other combined.

Lets see if you sit him, you would then say why is not playing when we are paying him all that money. If he plays at all, you say someone else should be in there. A no win situation for him. There are 24 other members of the TEAM, and so far no one is standing out.

G.C.

?? Young is a RF playing left. If cuddy was such a great outfielder he should have moved, but he cries whenever you make him do anything else.

the last year when both delmon and cuddy played RF Youngs Range Factor and Zone Rating were superior to Cuddy's.

so bash away for young playing out of position when cuddyer isnt putting the team first and doing the same.