• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Channels or Flats??

Laska

I would say toss up!

You get in the upper class weights of the fish (30lb channel and 60lb flat), I do not know. Hair a piece for me. I guess I would have to catch both in this class back to back on the same trip to even have an opinion grin

Channels are fun and you can get them all year long in numbers. Flats are great, but the window for a great bite is tight.

In the end, I would have to say flats.

i can't pick a favorite i admire channels for there pound for pound fight but i can't pass on a monster flat if i had to pick it would be a flat because of the time and effort you have to put in for that fight and then they just leave you with a crave for more

Given a choice, it is easily flatheads. There is a greater sense of accomplishment when you get one as the hunt breeds a lot of anticipation. However the last few years of discovering flathead fishing has led me to neglect channels, something I am changing this year. Shackbash mentioned the window and June is quite magical and the time to be going for flatheads. So this year, up until late May at the earliest, it is channel fishing. Hopefully that will lead me to an odd flathead here or there. But if I was given a choice between a 50% to get 1 flathead and at least 6 channels on a given trip, I am going for the flathead.

Fishing for channels is always more productive for me in the early spring (in pool 2 atleast). Once the water warms up and I have had a few swings with the channels, I start chasing after the bigg'uns. I usually will split up an outing to target both if I have the chance. Of course there's nothing better then chucking out some fresh cut suckers for channels and then tying into a big'ol mud monster! I love that THUNK!

Hey Chris welcome to FM/HSO!

Obviously it's fun to do battle with the big girls, but pound for pound, Channel cats do hold their own.

I sure hope I get to do battle with a 20 plus in the near future.

Thanks dtro. I figured it was time I stopped snooping around here. I totally agree that channels can hold their own. Backwater showed me that on the Red up @ Stu's place a few years back. Man those are some SUMOS!! Anyone whose having a hard time choosing should swing up there. That will make up your mind in a hurry.