• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repowering Alumacraft Dominator Tiller

FLJim

This is kind of going to be a long winded question.I have a 1991 Dominator with a 1991 Evinrude 40hp .The motor I have is okay,but I want to move up in horsepower.The boat is rated for a 60hp.I would love to get a four stroke,but it is just not in the budget.I would like to go with a yamaha or a mercury 2 stroke.I do alot of backtrolling for walleye so the next motor would need to troll down pretty slow.My question is,"Will a 60 hp do what I want It to?" Sorry for being so long winded.

P.S. Does anybody else have the same boat with a 60hp,and how well does It do backtrolling?

I don't think that it's a long winded question at all. You're going to get a lot of answers and a lot of opinions. I'm curious as to why, if you do a lot of backtrolling you don't get a transom mount trolling motor? Any way my opinion is that Yamaha and Merc are both good motors, my preference being Yamaha. If my major consideration were trolling I'd also take a hard look at Honda. Probably didn't help much, sorry.

A few years ago i wold have said go with the Merc, Yam, or Honda. Today I would never even consider then. Get an E-Tec. By far IMO the best motor out there. Quieter, better fuel economy, lighter, more power, the list just goes on and on. Anyone who says different has never had one IMO.

Don't even think about trying the evinrude etec unless they have fixed the shift linkage in the tiller handle. We were sent one to try out a couple years back and in the 5 weeks had it the shift linkage broke 3 times, it was only driven by my guides so I know it wasn't abused. The shift linkage looked like a single strand coat hanger, not a braided flexible line like our hondas. We were suppose to try it out for the summer, but I sent it back at the end of june.