• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

25 hp Yamaha water pump impeller

mikemac

Hello to all of you outboard motor experts. I need some help. I need to install a new impeller and I'm looking for any tricks or tips. I have never done it on this motor so looking for any help that may be out there.

1993 2 stroke oil injected engine

Model: 25ELHR

Code: 6L2 L

Ser: 551847

Thanks alot!!!!

Don't loose what little pin?? I have not even taken it apart yet. When I remove the bolts that hold the lower unit on, is there some sort of shift linkage that I need to remove as well?? Any other tricks for replacing the impeller?? How do I know which way the engine turns?? Just bump it over with the starter??

Thanks for the help!!

The driveshaft will always turn clockwise.

I can't recommend a shop manual strongly enough. That $30 will pay for itself 25 times over.

Also, I wouldn't just replace the impeller...get the kit with the new housing, wear plate, impeller, key, cup, gasket, and bolts.

I tried to save $25 by just replacing the impeller and it didn't fix the problem. Bought the kit and it worked perfect.

Hannay's in St. Anthony is where I had the best luck finding in-stock parts. Otherwise boats.net is a Yammy dealer from Clearwater, FL that has prices that are tough to beat if you can wait 4 days for delivery.

If you are in Forest Lake Halbergs has always been good about having the part I need. Make sure you have your model # off the motor before you go in.

I've done two impellers now, one on an 8 horse the other on a 150, its not too bad. Maybe take you 2 hours tops.

It should have a 2 piece shift shaft that you will need to disconnect by unscrewing it. You will see the shaft, a long nut and a jam nut on the leading edge of the motor going down (move the shifter a little bit and you will see what I mean), count the turns or threads showing for reassembly.