Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
croixflats

Emerald ash borer coming close to home.

10 posts in this topic

Minnesota officials on alert after Wisconsin reports emerald ash borer near La Crosse

Officials urge Minnesotans to avoid transporting firewood

ST. PAUL, Minn. – With today's news that Wisconsin state officials confirmed an emerald ash borer infestation south of La Crosse, officials in Minnesota are stepping up monitoring efforts and alerting residents about the destructive tree pest's ability to spread by hiding in firewood.

Emerald ash borer (EAB) is an invasive beetle that attacks and kills ash trees. Since its accidental introduction into North America, EAB has killed millions of ash trees in 10 eastern states. While it has not been found in Minnesota, the beetle was found in Wisconsin for the first time near Lake Michigan last summer. Today's announcement marks the first time EAB has been found in western Wisconsin. The new infestation is near the town of Victory, on the east bank of the Mississippi River just 1 mile southeast of the Minnesota-Iowa border.

With an estimated 900 million ash trees, Minnesota is a prime target for EAB. In response to the Wisconsin finding, the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has sent inspectors to Houston County to determine if the infestation has spread into Minnesota. MDA will also step up EAB monitoring in southeastern Minnesota in the coming weeks. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is working closely with the MDA, as well as the states of Iowa and Wisconsin, to help coordinate a joint response. MDA and DNR officials are working together to alert stakeholders of the development.

The metallic-green adult beetles are a half inch long, and are active from May to September. Signs of EAB infestation include one-eighth inch, D-shaped exit holes in ash tree bark and serpentine tunnels packed with sawdust under the bark. EAB larvae kill ash trees by tunneling into the wood and feeding on nutrients inside the tree. While EAB spreads slowly on its own, it can hitch a ride to new areas when people transport firewood or other wood products infested with the larvae. More information about the pest and its impact can be found on the MDA HSOforum at www.mda.state.mn.us. DNR also is offering more information on its forest health site at www.dnr.state.mn.us/treecare/forest_health/index.html.

MDA and DNR officials urge Minnesota citizens to take several steps to help keep EAB from spreading:

Don't transport firewood, even within Minnesota. Don't bring firewood along on a camping trip. Buy the wood you need locally from an approved vendor. Don't bring extra wood home with you.

Don't buy or move firewood from outside Minnesota. If someone comes to your door selling firewood, ask them about the source of the wood. If it came from outside Minnesota, don't buy it.

Watch for signs of infestation in your ash trees. If you suspect your ash tree could be infested by EAB, visit www.mda.state.mn.us/invasives/eab and use the “Do I Have Emerald Ash Borer?” checklist.

-30-

Thanks Croixflats, Thats great info and its very important to inform people of this nasty pest. I think people would take it alot more to heart if they really knew how many of the trees in there state forests and hunting lands were ash trees.

Theres more ash out there then most think, so Lets all heed this advice and spread the word to those who have not heard yet. We really don't need this in MN. Not sure we can really stop it but as posted, On there own they spread slowly. We don't need to help them by giving them a ride. Thanks again croixflats.

Thanks Picklefarmer I just figured out this copy and paste thing

and I was presented with this important message and what better first use of copy and paste.

Information is the best tool for us to combat this along with vigilance on doing our part to slow this down.

its becoming the tree of the year. first it was elm, then it was oak, now its ash. the problem is the bugs get transported across the nation, and across the seas.

what I don't get is most things make good tidings with there host, not kill them. what good are these bugs, if they kill there host. its like killing themselves in the longrun. geez, this may be us in the future. shocked

In the wake of the Dutch elm disease outbreak all those years ago, white and green ash, always a pretty popular berm/boulevard ornamental tree, were planted even more widely in cities across the Midwest to replace all the killed elms.

In some cities I've seen, there are blocks and blocks of them, now mature, on boulevards and in parks and people's yards. And large stands of black ash are common in certain types of lowland swamp.

If I remember correctly a talk I attended given by a U. of M. forest ecologist, emerald ash borer infestation is virtually always fatal, and there are something over 900 million of them planted in MN. That's a lot of food.

Dutch elm didn't kill every American elm tree in Minnesota, nor will the borer likely kill every ash tree, but it will certainly have a drastic impact on the look and the food chains of our cities and woods once it becomes more widespread.

Can you eat them???

You can eat most anything with catsup grin

Or better yet.

New Menu Item: Buffalo Emerald Ash borers.

laughlaughlaugh

Originally Posted By: tacklejunkie
Can you eat them???

You can eat most anything with catsup grin

New Menu Item: Buffalo Emerald Ash borers.

laughlaughlaugh

catsup????? I'm talking hot sauce

I work outside in summer (Winter to for that matter) and I've seen those bugs before, hard to miss em. Maybe the main armada is at the border, but the vangards, special ops, recon patrols, have been here for awhile I do believe?

I'm sure I haven't been the only person to see the only bug in Minnesota! Others must have seen them to, especially you lawn guys and tree trimmers.