Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugoBox

Boat Steering Wheel

9 posts in this topic

We have a broken steering wheel on a 1997 Alumacraft TP175. Do we need to get the replacement through Alumacraft or can we use anything from Overtons?

HugoBox, I'd think you could use Overtons, I believe Cabelas carries wheels too. You might want to remove yours first so you can see how it's mounted. Phred52

Figure out which style you have (remove it), and you should be able to get one from anywhere they sell boat parts.

marine_man

So HugoBox - do tell, how did you manage to break a steering wheel? haha

RU (Matt)

I've always thought a custom or aftermarket steering wheel is one of the coolest upgrades you can do to a car or a boat --- good way to add a personal touch grin

So HugoBox - do tell, how did you manage to break a steering wheel? haha

RU (Matt)

Haha! You haven't seen us, have you? wink I swear it was from when he lost a big fish, and he started banging his head on the wheel, ha!

It is funky, the rubber around the wheel (cushioned) is still in tact and you can't tell its broke until you grab it, then you can tell the back-bone of the wheel is cracked underneath it. I forgot about it until we were cleaning it up the other day and... doh.... that's right, we need a new wheel!

I've always thought a custom or aftermarket steering wheel is one of the coolest upgrades you can do to a car or a boat --- good way to add a personal touch grin

Like a chain steering wheel?

FYI - it ended up fitting perfect. Was a bit hard to get the old one off, but a nice few sharp blows with a maul from the back, while putting pressure on the other side with a Wonder Bar prybar did the trick. New one just slid on using the old woodruff (?) key and then tighten to nut, and slap the new trim cap on. Looks and feels good.

There is slight play in the steering (12 years old) and has been for several years. Is there a way to tighten this up any with adjustment to the helm/bezzle? It is not unsafe at all, just would like it super tight for trolling. At speed it is totally responsive.

Thanks for info!

There isn't much, if anything, for adjustment on the helm to tighten it up. make sure the nut is tight where the steering cable goes into the motor tilt tube and that the drag link is tight at the steering cable and engine.

marine_man