• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Braided line

mojoputter

I personally like the spiderwire stealth MUCH better than suffix or power pro. I use to use power pro years ago but made the switch to spiderwire (yet I still buy one spool of each new braid that comes out from the majors, BPS, or Cabby's) - to date I think the stealth is the best overall line as it is easier to cast and yet strong...I think the power pro and suffix are too "rough" for some of the new guides - especially recoil guides as it "sounds" rough when you throw it - I stick to 20-30# spiderwire stealth on most my rods - go to 50# for slop sometimes....on a frog rod.

30 and 40 # super braid for me. 50# on the flippin rod. Power Pro color fades horribly, as does suffix, spiderwire frays much worse in comparison. Anyone try the Stren Sonic Braid yet?

Out of curiosity, what does everyone care about fading of power pro and suffix? I've seen that comment several times before on other threads as well and I just don't get it. Thats honestly one of those "so what!" things to me, cause it has no effect on the performance in my opinion. Though, I really don't think powerpro even fades badly at all. It definitely fades, but it took a full YEAR on one of my spinning reels before it started looking significantly different than the stuff buried on the spool that never got used. And, I'll just add, that this spinning reel was my primary rod for quite awhile, probably being used 80% of the time I was on the water (2-3 times a week).

Either way, I'm a powerpro guy. I've never had a problem with it. It can get a little noisy on certain types of guides, but I don't notice it after about 3 casts anyways. I use PP on 5 rods, 3 of which are for muskie fishing, and the only time its ever failed on those was due to a backlash typically throwing something heavier than I should have been on the rod.

Mojoputter,

As you see, there's lots of opinions here and they all come from happy experiences. Truth is, most braids work very well on casting reels, and in the heavier tests they all sit well on a spool, and they all knot well. Having said this, and if I had to get maximum versatility from the outfit you described, I'd go with a #40 line. IMHO you get all the strength needed for fishin' in scary stuff, but you also get smaller diameter that increases usability of smaller offerings in more open water. I have a shameful number of rod and reel combos, all spooled with the gamut of line types. But, to be forthright, you could use a setup like this for 80% of your pike and bass fishing. You'd round out your system with a spinning rig for finesse approaches.

Aaron Carrell,

I too see fairly significant fading on the first few yards of Power Pro and Tuf Line. There was a time I worried this was a negative cue to fish. But when I compared in-water visibility of faded lines to Fireline Crystal, and Ultracast Invisibraid I didn't see a difference. Nor did I experience any difference in number of strikes/fish caught.

Remember, it's easy to reverse the line currently on your spool. I head to my local park, walk off all the braid and leave it on the ground, then retie from the opposite end. I've also had good luck recoloring faded line with green or grey permanent markers.

It's possible, of course, that the fish could care less in any case.