Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mojoputter

Braided line

32 posts in this topic

Just bought a St. Croix 7' Mojo with a Pflueger reel, what would be a good braided line to put on the reel.? I plan to use this rod for throwing weedless cranks & frogs into pads and slop.

I would go with a 50#. I use spiderwire, but a lot will say Power Pro, which is good as well.

I use spiderwire as well. I dont like to go any bigger than 20 or 30# though for bass. Spiderwire is expensive about 15 bucks a spool but use it for bass, pike, and muskie and I have never had any problems with it so I think its well worth the price.

I like to use 50lb Tuff Line. For me, this has been the easiest most managable braid I've used yet. Love the stuff.

Cortland Spectron 35# for bass or pike in the weeds. 50# for musky bucktails and 80# for trolling/jerk-baits/bulldawgs. Never had it fail.

musky.jpg

I think its really what ever works better for you. I have at times used 30 lb power pro, and at times I have used 65. Depends on the set up. I would warn you against using anything much smaller than 30 as it will dig into the spool and cause some backlashes.

The first time I used Power Pro, I think it was #20, it dug into the reel as you say. It broke my Husky Jerk off way behind the boat casting. I immediately put the tiller in reverse to chase down the lure. It wasn't too long before the propeller grabbed the end of the line and proceeded to pull the end of my Loomis into the prop. Last time I used anything less than 30# Power Pro - lesson learned!

I use 30# PP for some applications, and use 40#/50# PP for heavy situations. I also have used Stren Braid and don't have anything bad to say about it. The difference between braids is what material is being used. From what I've read it seems most use either Dyneema or Spectra fibers. Have no idea the difference between the two.

power pro here frogs 65lb jigs and creature baits 50lb in heavy cover. i do use 20lb for flipin and pitchin docks on a 6ft med heavy casting rod i use to use a 7ft, but way more acarute with the 6.

I hate to say this, but, I'm not sure what kind of braid I have on the one reel I use. I don't use it for throwing top water frogs because braid absorbs water and it sinks. Other wise it works well on buzz baits and spinners.

what do you use for frogs. i wouldnt use anything else its super tuff and cuts threw the slop, but what ever it is must work for ya

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
Stren Super Braid!

I agree, I can't believe that no one else uses this stuff!!! It is the best...

I have only used 20lb stren for braided line until this year, loaded my new baitcaster up with 50lb PP for various heavy-duty fishing.

Stren is by far my favorite braided line but I didn't feel like paying extra since the PP came for free.

Speaking of lines, has anyone used the Vicious line?. I'm considering trying it this year,but, don't know anyone thats tried it yet.

What, no luv for Sufix?

Feel the lil tag pieces of line they tie on the boxes. Feel Power Pro then feel Sufix. You tell me which one is smoother?

I've heard good things about Spider Wire Stealth.

Stren Super Braid was alright to.

I just had a few bad batches of Power Pro so I tried Sufix and I like that a bit more. My. 02

I have used many different braided lines and I started with some new line this winter for some of my ice rods. The new line is Viscious and it seems to be pretty good stuff.

I've used a majority of the braided lines out there and PowerPro is by far my favorite.. have had the fewest problems with this braid

Feel the lil tag pieces of line they tie on the boxes. Feel Power Pro then feel Sufix. You tell me which one is smoother?

Totally agree, sufix is awesome stuff.