• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mobile Phone Scam

The Grebe

Heres a heads up to all you FM'ers....Just got a call on my cell and a recorded message identified it as comming from T-Mobile, my service provider.

It said I was in arrears with my cell payment and that my service was going to be shut off if I didn't correct it immediately....thats as far as I let it go before I hung up on them and called T-Mobile directly.

After checking my account they said that it is a new scam and that they were not aware of it until today. The number that the message came from was 1-866-853-2574.

I'm sure they have a bunch of numbers to call from and I'm sure the illegal activity will touch every name of every cell phone service provider, so stay on your toes and let your peeps know, especially grandma and grandpa....once they get any kind of number, there goes the money!

Another one to watch out for that my wife just sent me from her work (Target) so it must be real and a big deal if Target is sending out a company wide email -

Be Aware of New Online Social Network Scam

(4/8/09) A scam targeting users of social networking sites (e.g., Facebook and MySpace), has been reported. The scam presents itself as an invitation from a friend to view a video on YouTube. After clicking on the link, you are asked to install an Adobe flash plug-in. Rather than installing the plug in, a virus is installed giving control of your computer to cyber criminals.

How can you stay safe online?

* Do not install or download unauthorized programs onto your Target device.

* Protect yourself at home by not installing or downloading programs from an unknown sender onto your personal device.

* Do not click on links from unsolicited messages or from unknown social networking friends.

I just read in the paper where scammers are calling grandparents, saying they are their grandchild and they are in jail up in Canada and need bail money. That's just plain evil.

As for computer viruses: Three words.....Get a Mac

I get calls on my cell a couple times a week about problems with my credit card account. it says this is your final notice press 1 to speak to a person. I press one and see how long I can keep them on the line. I dont give them 1 speck of info just a bunch of carp and the ol run around. Fun to see how long you can keep thm on there.

I get calls on my cell a couple times a week about problems with my credit card account. it says this is your final notice press 1 to speak to a person. I press one and see how long I can keep them on the line. I dont give them 1 speck of info just a bunch of carp and the ol run around. Fun to see how long you can keep thm on there.
I get those all the time on my land line. Now that Im unemployed I have all day to keep these people on the phone. I spent a solid hour on the phone with a guy selling furnace duct cleaning. I almost felt bad when I finally mentioned that I live in an apartment and it has hot water heat...... grin

These are perfect examples why I don't give my cell out to no stores and etc.

My girlfriend has been giving her cell out to her credit card co, tanning places, banks and pretty much everyone that isn't a friend or family. Me, I haven't given it to no one other than friends or family and I don't have any issues.

On the other hand, her phone gets at the least one telemarketer or scam call a day. Some days more than others. I really get a kick out of it though.

We have a land line but we don't use it and the ringer is off. We have a caller id and I do see a awful amount of telemarketers #'s. My advice, don't give out the cell number. Give em your ex's wink