• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do I need to know about buying a tiller?

Down Deep

My son has approached me about putting a large garden of about 75' X 40' on part of my property. I think it is a good idea and I'm looking for a tiller. What size, hp, how deep, options, etc. ????? Anything you can add would be good. I don't want to spend 3K, but what could I get for $600 to $800?

I'd look into a walking tractor from BCS with a tiller attachment. They are by far the best made walking tractor and have lots of attachments for specialized jobs. They sell a rotary spader for the BCS that will dig deeper and more ecologically than any tiller.

If you're only looking at the one project why not just rent one. They don't get used that much and it just creates storage problems plus the hassles of getting it running when you want it every 3 years. I bet you can rent one for around $75.

If you're only looking at the one project why not just rent one. They don't get used that much and it just creates storage problems plus the hassles of getting it running when you want it every 3 years. I bet you can rent one for around $75.

I'd second this idea, or look in the back of the local paper and watch for an ad for garden tilling. You can probably get something of that size done for less than the $75.

I do tilling as part of my business and if this was an established garden of that size it would run you around 75.00 If you are just starting out you can double that price. If I was you I would go out and purchase a tiller, The bronco is a good choice and I would definitely go with a rear tine tiller. Front tine tiller just bounce around. I recommend buying because with the size of your garden you will be able to use the tiller in Spring and then again in the Fall to turn over your garden. Not to mention depending on your planting you will be able to use the tiller to cultivated during the season. Change the oil once a season and keep your times clean and you will get your money out of your tiller. A 5 hp tiller will do the job, no need to go any bigger then that. I turn over about 35-40 gardens a year and the current 5 hp I have has done well over 300 gardens.