• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing 12V batteries

polarsusd81

Question

So I have a buddy that swears that storing batteries on concrete does not effect them. His batteries have to be replaced at the beginning of each boating season because they will not hold a charge at all. I store my batteries on a wood bench and can usually get 3 to 4 years of use out of one. My step father has been a mechanic and big rig driver all his life and tells me that storing them on concrete kills them.

Does storing a 12V battery on a concrete floor effect its lifespan?

9 answers to this question

The battery container years ago where made out of a different type of plastic (phenolic I think). It would allow the batteries to discharge if stored on concrete. This was many years ago. They have changed the plastic material since then and it is no longer an issue.

I would say the quality of the battery and pre storage prep has more to due with it than how they are stored. My interstate cranking battery has a few years on it. Its charged before its stored on the concrete in the basement. And I check it again about midwinter.

Batteries need to go into storage in a good state of charge. If they are depleted, they run the chance of freezing if they are in a cold garage.

I charge mine prior to storage, and once or twice during the winter, and have good results. My batteries sit right on the concrete floor.

Agreed, I bring mine into the basement fully charged after the fishing season, Hit them both with a charge sometime in February and once more right before I put them back into the boat. This will be my 3rd season with these batteries.

Whether you store your batteries in a below freezing environment or not, they should always be stored at full charge. Allowing them to get depleted will shorten their life.

With that said, this next statement may sound contradictory so bear with me.

It is better to store your batteries in a colder environment than a warm one because this slows down the chemical reaction. Just make sure you maintain a full charge or you can risk freezing, which will kill a battery.

If you google deep cycle battery FAQ and Darden you get good answers to a lot of battery questions. The cement floor thing is outdated according to this HSOforum. Setting up the battery with a low amp trickle charger also seems to make a big difference.

I agree 100% with about making sure batteries are charged before storage.

In the winter I keep my deep cycle batteries in either my heated garage or my basement ---- both are cool locations ---- and I set them on 2x4s on the concrete floor (old habits die hard I guess). And I check them about once a month, and throw an automatic trickle charger on them for a while.

For my ice fishing batteries in the summer, I charge them in the spring and tuck them away in the basement. I don't look at them again until winter.

For my boat batteries in the summer, they are always in my boat and connected to an on-board charger. And the on-board charger is always plugged in.

The concrete floor thing isn't totally unfounded.

I've read some information saying if there is sufficient acid residue on the battery, a conductive path can be formed over the battery case through damp concrete which can drain a battery over time.

So I have a buddy that swears that storing batteries on concrete does not effect them. His batteries have to be replaced at the beginning of each boating season because they will not hold a charge at all.

I would think if he took a close look at this, your friend would answer his own question. I never store my on the concrete always on a board or a few layers of cardboard. andput away charged.