• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st Season Tactics

Shoot2Kill

Who's got 2 thumbs and is ready to roll a big ol longbeard! THIS GUY! Dang I can't wait.

I drew 1st season this year and am taking my commander that I had in Baghdad 2 summers ago who is flying in from AZ who also drew 1st season. I've typically hunted later in April and early May since I began turkey hunting 10 years ago....I'm looking for any trick in the book for early season Toms that might still be bunched up so my commander doesn't go home empty handed. Of course I'm hoping they're fired up and ready to go and I won't need any tricks other than the sweet sweet love sounds coming off my Power Crystal. smile

You guys have any secrets for pounding one this early in the year? I'm going out both mornings this weekend to listen for a hot head giving himself away, so hopefully I'll have a few pegged come Wednesday morning.

I typically use the standard dec set, 1 jake, 2 hens but am thinking of getting a Pretty Boy just because I'd love to have a tom come in and try to kick it's butt in front of my commander who has never hunted turks before.

Anything from anyone that has hunted 1st season in years past? This weather should be getting them hot and bothered...60s for the next week! Hoooyah!

Thx!

Just got backin from scouting this morning the last two days the birds have been spliting up and changing roost locations,been seeing a few toms out in the feilds strutting by their selfs and they are gobbling like crazy. Also had a coyote that thought my lone hen call sounded like a easy breakfast he came into about ten yards wish I would have grabbed my .22 pistol from the truck.

Shoot 2, hunted 1st season quite a few years here in northwestIL . Wear yore real dark drab camo not much green out there yet.Be prepared to call in the whole flock, i like to mimic the loudest most vocal hen ,match her every note and when you here her getting closer run over her calling with your own!She will come in very agitated, dont get shook ,she'll bring the boys with her stumblin and fighten with each other ,give you areal easy shot,dont be surprised if the other ones gang up and start kickin the one ya tipped over! Another good way to call is the fighting purr this time of year,the turkeys are always working on there pecking order , more so at this time of year!THANKS GUYS ITS CAUSE OF YOU WE GET TO STAY FREE AND ABLE TO ENJOY HUNTING SEASONS!BEST OF LUCK!

Going down to maplewood for easter dinner tonight their was two toms spurring the heck out of eachother by the train tracks just west of the 61 exit on 694. I think next week is going to be very good with the birds splitting up and trying to figure out who is the dominate bird I think my preaty boy is gonna get his but kicked again this year,the spur marks from last year are still showing.

So, how'd you guys do? Didn't have a chance to chime in here earlier. Curious how they responded to your dekes that first season. Often find they are learing early on. In SD opening wknd the toms were grouped up, 2 yr olds w/ jakes anyway. Never saw or heard a hen. Think the older birds and hens were still on private land being fed while the younger toms were pushed out. They gobbled but didn't dare come to a call and diverted seeing the jake deke. Rarely deke that early. So hunt the travel routes. My bird landed about 30 yds from me after gliding from the roost, never made a call. First time to have one land that close off the roost.

They were really grouped up the first week opening morning I had 11 bearded and 1 hen come into the decoy the big tom's skirted the decoys not paying to much attention to them just more worried about keeping the hen from the strutting jake decoy, the biggest jake came strutting in to my decoys so I took him and when he dropped in his tracks then the big tom's came over and plucked him for me. I think without the strutting jake decoy and just my hen decoy's the big tom's would have came right in right away.