• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lowrance 522

adamr

hummingbirds with side imaging are like 1000 dollars right? my main concern is gps good fishfinder, easy to read and be able to use the chip but if I have a split screen with a 5 inch will that be two hard to see on a split screen vs 7 I just want to make sure I make the right decision if im spending over 500 dollars.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think the Humminbirds only run the navionics chips where as the lowrance units use both chips if that is a concern of yours. I believe that humminbird has better customer service vs lowrance. I did talk to a person that says humminbird is thinking about having their machine run both chips, but that will be an upgrade if you buy the humminbird now.

The birds will have an upgrade soon to run the lakemaster chips as I've heard. Also the newer Lowrance untis will have an upgrade and new transducer to get their sidescan... sometime. All in all, the 522 is probably the cheapest option, but wheather it be side imaging or sidescan, the 522 will be obsolite soon... that's not to say you wont catch just as many fish with it, you just won't be able to see structure off to the sides... Good Luck!

522 - if you can find one it will probably be the lowest price because of the closeout pricing, it will take Nav or LM cards.

HDS-5 -- has the built-in digital broadband sounder, works with LM cards right now, will work with Nav cards after the April software update is released, is supposed to have a side-scanning option later this year. I like the high-def display and the broadband sounder. Also, there's a $50 Rebate on the HDS-5 right now.

HBird - lots of options, lots of price ranges you could be in. Will work with Nav cards but not LM cards, and I was told to not expect anything soon regarding LM cards in HB.

You can check out all the models and the low prices at Pro Fishing Supply Combo Units