• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Carp

sanka

All right, the cottonwoods are falling. Everyone tells me this is when the carp bite. I've had decent luck up until now, but it seems my lake haunts are being choked out by weeds.

Where's the hot bite? Do I just have to stick with rivers now?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was on the east side of Nokomis today and the carp were really active. Jumping constantly in the shallows. Only managed to hook one, but he spit the hook before I got him in.

I have had pretty good luck on the Mississippi in St Paul park...Lions Levee park...right out in the main channel..corn on a #4.with a 1oz sinker..then wait...it's kind of a slow bite, but once they hit, hang on...

Been out on a few metro lakes in the last week or so. I've been seeing them jumping all over, everywhere I fish. Fished 3 straight days without even a bite. Tried every bait I know, still nothing.

Today I finally landed one on Nokomis, it bit literally 2 seconds before I was going to pick up my pole and leave after 3 hours of no bites. It was pretty decent sized, 29", but it was fat fat fat full of eggs. I guess that's why I'm getting no bites, they're concentrating more on the sexin and less on the feedin.

I got one on Nokomis on Friday. Nothing huge, but a lot of fun on the ultralight. They're getting ready to spawn, which makes them really tough to catch right now. You can tell by how much they're jumping, and how thier fins are getting bright orange and yellow. You can sometimes get them to bite (they will still eat while spawning), but I usually just let them do thier thing until they're done spawning.

I was down on Medicine at the dock on the southwest side of the lake and there was a big ol' carp dead on the shore, full of eggs. I'd say it was about 32-33" and absolutely FAT. I'd guess around 20-25lbs. I was gonna give 'er a go for carp out there but you're right, they can be darn hard to catch when they're spawning. It is a good time to get a pb, though!

The past week or so I've been seeing the carp really rolling all around the weeds in the SW corner of Calhoun and all over Isles. I casted out into the pockets, but no hits. How long until they go off the spawn and into hitting again?

right as the end of the rain was rolling through last night, all the hundreds of carp beneath coon rapids dam began rolling and jumping. It was crazy, with very high energy activity from the carp lasting 10-20 mins I'd estimate.

They really weren't feeding though, I only pulled in 1 carp the whole evening.

About a month ago I was walking over the bridge on Nokomis, looked down and saw a carp so big, it made my heart start to beat fast. I was a bit high up so I cant be sure of its size, but it was the biggest carp and possible the biggest fish overall Ive ever seen.