Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delmuts

Sweets Marsh Fishing Reports

12 posts in this topic

I said i would try to keep you informed! grin

Was there again yesturday for a while. lots of little gils, and shad. The crappies have been slow. Best results have been with a char. tube on a straight hook( no weight!)suspended under a float! The wind is a pain in the butt.

See John!! Another report!! grin

The crappies were going well this morning( i even caught some!). Tubes worked, but i had my best luck using a 2in power minnow on a 1/32 jig fished about 18 in under a float. Lots of little ones though!

I went out for a while monday. The front must have shut them down as nobody was catching much of anything. Got tired of changing lures! cry

Went out for a while today. The crappies are still there, but biting very light.Had a hard time keeping the bow out of my line, so getting a hookset was a pain! You do have to deal with lots of small gils too! After the snow storm, i may have to start going to the cedar, and wapsie for the toothy critters!

I was out after the crappies at the marsh again, and of course i missed the hot bite! mad ( so what else is new!) Talked to guys that were there late morning, and they did well. My only high point was that i caught the biggest crappie from that body of water ever.( 13 inches and thick!) The crappies won't be there much longer as the water is warming and the bass are moving in.

I've been making my reports in another section of the "IOWA " forums. Sorry!

I've been fishing the marsh with another guy lately for bass. We haven't done anything impressive( to us!) but ok! Last week we caught around 20 for the morning. The biggest was 4 lbs. No stand out pattern. Caught fish on tesxas rigs,silver minnow,flukes,floating lizard,paddle tail frog, and the old stand by surface frog!

Heading there in the morning. Will let you know!

We were on the marsh again this morning.(unfortunately we didn't get on the water til 7:30 cry)

We worked hard with poor results. Did manage to catch two bass ,two crappies, one northern, and the other guy caught a 12 lb. carp on his 12 ' crappie pole. Only took him about 15 min. to get it in! grin

We talked to other guys. Some did better than us, and some not any better! The dnr sprayed the mil foil and having the carp really dirtying up the water didn't help.

Will probably start going to volga lake now.

Is Sweets Marsh right outside of Sumner to the north?

I'm from up by Lake Hendricks and have heard of a few guys going down there to fish the Marsh...but I personally have never tried it.

Good Reports Del!

Doop,

Sweet Marsh is north of Tripoli and west of Sumner. It is closer to Tripoli.

Whisker is right. It is closer to tripoli. From tripoli you would take hwy. 93 towards sumner. After the big curve and turn off that goes to fredericka you will come to a black top the goes to fredericksburg. Turn south on the gravel and follow it straight into the marsh.

Note! It is shallow, and very weedy!( and the weeds are getting worse) Usually by mid summer it is hard to get around cause of them. Also it is a no wake area do to being a wet land!.( no signs about that though!) It has been getting alot of pressure too!

Not at the Marsh , but ponds close to home. My son went out thurs. night for a while. He hit a HOT bite!! Caught 15 bass in 30 min. All on a white with sparkles spinner bait. The biggest was 17 inches.

Nothing from the marsh as it very thick with weeds, but my son and another guy fished volga lake one morning for bass. Fishing was slow. They caught six between them. Don't know about size.