• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Never fished a tournament, how do i get started?

I can catch bass. I have an old boat. I don't have a partner. I want to get involved fishing "real" tournaments to try and take the next step in getting involved in tournament fishing. How do i do this? What steps do i need to take? Do i need anything to be involved? What do I do?

Not much to it just find a tournament that you want to fish and sign up. Some require that you fish a full curcit others are a one off. Best thing to do is find a tourney that you want to fish and talk to the director. I haven't fished any tournaments in your area but there are alot of good ones in the St. Cloud area.

What do you mean by "old boat"? If your boat has a functioning livewell and qualifies under the tournament rules, there are a number of circuits you could give a try. American Bass Anglers has some lower entry fee individual tournaments around the metro area. You could also fish that circuit as a non boater if need be.

You could also fish the Silverado Pro Am Bass Tour as a co-angler. You might want to check if they still have openings. Doing the co-angler side is a good way to learn the ins and outs of tournament fishing without the higher expenses that the pro side warrants.

You could also try contacting your local Bass Federation clubs and joining. A lot of clubs have tournaments as well as some really good service projects that they participate in.

There are many many tourneys around the state and midwest. All species and entry fees. I would probably start at some local ones. Joining BASS or a local association can help alot too.

You will also learn much here in the forums from reading all the great articles.

When I started fishing tourneys a wise fisherperson told me one thing " Bring Money "

No matter how big or small the tourneys, there are alot of serious contestants. For the most part it's a pleasurable experience and you can learn alot.

If you look around you will also find many small tourneys with reasonable entry fees. BASS gives local qualifiers and most are one day events.

Best times I have nowdays is fishing small local tourneys with my grandkids.

Have a great day.

I think the Co-Angler format that alot of tournies follow is a good one if you are looking to learn. You wouldn't need a partner either. Get yourself signed up and start learning.

I'm personally fishing the Co-Angler side of the FLW Walleye Tour this summer. I want to gain experience and learn new techniques and strategies. This will provide it and hopefully be a good stepping stone towards fishing the Pro side in the future.

Like the other guys have mentioned as well, plenty of opportunities from the Club level to the Pro level to compete. Gotta figure out what works for you but I think being a Co-Angler will teach you the ins and outs and what it takes.

If you're into walleye fishing, check out the WWA (World Walleye Association) tourney's. They aren't huge so you can stand a chance. They are fairly inexpensive and the top ten teams of the year go to the Cabela's National Tourney. I'm going to try to fish the rest of them this year. I missed Sunday's do to family matters.

The bass league is great to give you a feel and so is being a co-angler. Nothing beets getting out and doing them and gaining experience no matter what you do.