Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Metro Gun Owners 2nd Class Citizens

48 posts in this topic

You gotta watch these guys.

This bill must be stopped.

In the last two weeks while the bill was "hidden" in committee, Rep. Dill's uncased, unloaded CONVENIENCE BILL for shotgun hunters has morphed into a monstrosity that does the following:

1. Recognizes that the 7-county Metro area is "different" from the rest of the state, that the metro area needs "more stringent" gun laws, and makes metro gun owners into second-class gun owners,

2. Identifies handgun hunters as second-class hunters,

3. automatically bans firearm discharge in cities of 2500 population irrespective of the city's desire with no exceptions possible,

4. automatically bans firearm discharge on all "school grounds" including off-campus open fields, owned by a school district, where hunting has always been allowed with no exceptions possible, and

5. continues the ban on carry of long guns in a vehicle under a carry permit.

This bill does nothing of significant value, provides a minor convenience to a few group hunters and sporting clay shooters, and ACCEPTS the policy that METRO AREAS ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF MINNESOTA AND NEED MORE STRINGENT GUN LAWS.

If you live in the metro area, rural "pro-gun" legislators just agreed with the most virulent anti-gunners that YOU are the problem and that SECOND-CLASS GUN OWNERS like YOU need to be subject to MORE STRINGENT gun prohibitions. Yup, they sold you out for a golf cart ride!

The antis are getting, courtesy of some narrow-minded, politically insensitive, "pro-gun" legislators their most prized desire. A POLICY THAT TREATS THE METRO AREA AS A DANGEROUS PLACE TO ALLOW GUNS. They couldn't get this in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (they tried to add it to the Carry Bill but lost big), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008. But they are getting it now!

Either this provision must be KILLED in its entirely or the "unless" clauses stripped out (which will probably kill it). The bill is now in the House Environment and Natural Resources Finance Division. The offending provisions should come out in that committee.

It is time to HAMMER on Rep.David.Dill@house.mn, on Rep.Tony.Cornish@house.mn , and on Rep.Marty.Seifert@house.mn.

Senator list to come later.

Here is HF128 which is now on page 15-16 of a larger game and fish bill (HF)1238:

15.10 Sec. 31. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97B.045, subdivision 1, is amended to read:

15.11 Subdivision 1. Restrictions. (a) A person may not transport a firearm in a motor

15.12vehicle unless the firearm is:

15.13(1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case

15.14fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened,

15.15and without any portion of the firearm exposed;

15.16(2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or

15.17(3) a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715.

15.18(B) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), a person may transport an unloaded, uncased

15.19firearm, excluding a pistol as defined in paragraph ©, in a motor vehicle while at a

15.20shooting range, as defined under section 87A.01, subdivision 3, where the person has

15.21received permission from the lawful owner or possessor to discharge firearms; lawfully

15.22hunting on private or public land; or travelling to or from a site the person intends to hunt

15.23lawfully that day or has hunted lawfully that day, unless:

15.24(1) within the seven-county metropolitan area as defined in section 473.121,

15.25subdivision 4;

15.26(2) within an area where the discharge of a firearm has been prohibited under section

15.27471.633;

15.28(3) within the boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city with a population

15.29of 2,500 or more;

15.30(4) on school grounds as regulated under section 609.66, subdivision 1d; or

15.31(5) otherwise restricted under section 97A.091, 97B.081, or 97B.086.

15.32© For the purposes of this section, a "pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired

15.33by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a

15.34barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel

15.35of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle:

16.1(1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means

16.2of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or

16.3explosive substances; or

16.4(2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or

16.5other gas, or vapor.

16.6"Pistol" does not include a device firing or ejecting a shot measuring .18 of an inch, or

16.7less, in diameter and commonly known as a "BB gun," a scuba gun, a stud gun, or nail gun

16.8used in the construction industry or children's pop guns or toys.

To understand the above you need to know about this existing statute:

473.121 DEFINITIONS.

Subdivision 1.Terms.

For the purposes of this chapter, the terms defined in this section have the meanings given them in this section, except as otherwise expressly provided or indicated by the context.

Subd. 4.Metropolitan county.

"Metropolitan county" means any one of the following counties: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott or Washington.

The metro is different... we shoot people out of boredom. In the rural you shoot pheasant, geese, ducks, etc.,.

Gunflint - I thought you gave up posting in this forum a few weeks ago smirk. With the way some of you guys talk - I might need to add another layer to my tin foil hat...

I gave up arguing. But I will continue to post items that I feel are important to outdoorsmen.

Would this jepardize existing gun clubs and gun ranges. Sounds like something that maybe used to shut these down in the metro area. And how would it effect WMA's

It sounds like it may if they are owned by certain groups. Don't know, but again, gun laws only harm those that follow laws. They do absolutley nothing to stop the criminals.

wow, I can't believe they would actually propose that....oh yeah, I got my NRA renewal in the mail today, better get that off tomorrow........if you're not a memeber yet, strongly consider it......

Cornish isn't metro either.

So you can have guns but you can't transport them in the metro? I'd say the case law amendment has morphed a bit...

When I lived in the metro I made sure my neighbors saw me carrying in my cased guns...that way they knew not to mess with me (I lived by Rice Street where I heard a few gunshots on odd nights).

Maybe the folks in the metro area should vote out these people trying to take our rights away. Seems like some of the reps and sens we elected have WAY to much time on their hands and running personal agendas instead of worrying about taking care of the budget and the unemployed.

Maybe the folks in the metro area should vote out these people trying to take our rights away. Seems like some of the reps and sens we elected have WAY to much time on their hands and running personal agendas instead of worrying about taking care of the budget and the unemployed.

Vote for somebody new? Many keep voting for the same people time after time! It doesn't matter that they are not running things the way they would like, many (not I) keep voting for them confused They listen to all the propaganda that is spewed out at election time and forget what they have done in the past.

Guys, guys it doesn't take any rights away. It says that you can't carry an uncased firearm in the metro area. In other words nothing has changed in the metro. You can't carry a uncased firearm now and you won't be able to under the proposed bill. Nor will you be able to carry an uncased firearm in an area where shooting isn't allowed or on school grounds. Those aren't changes they are just continuing the current law. I'm not sure if the statement of "within the boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city with a population of 2,500 or more" means that gun ranges would be effected. I doubt it though. Reps Dill and Cornish are strong advocates for sportmen and sportmens right so I highly doubt they would include anything that would shut down gun clubs.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the statement of "within the boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city with a population of 2,500 or more" means that gun ranges would be effected.

OK..what else could it mean, they don't have exceptions in there? This the cool water to boiling pot scenario at it's finest! Slowly creeping up and you so you don't notice it.

When I lived in the metro I made sure my neighbors saw me carrying in my cased guns...that way they knew not to mess with me (I lived by Rice Street where I heard a few gunshots on odd nights).

I fire off some rounds every once and awhile to keep my neighbors informed, but this is so I do not get the cops called for firing off rounds at a target. I always wonder if this is a call for would-be theives that I have guns to steal?

Same could be said in the metro. "Hey, that guy has guns. When he leaves the next time, let's check out what he has."

I worry too much though! grin

Sucks being in the minority now-a-days wink. Many do not think guns are good any more. The problem is with tighter regulations less people own guns and we have less people who care about guns every year.

I've been a NRA Life member for many years. My wife, kids and grands are also life members.

If you have guns they should be secured in the home it's the law if you have children at home. Teach your kids to respect them and there won't be any problems.

We have lock boxes in our bedroom and secure room so we can easily and quickly defend ourselves if needed ( and I hope it's never needed )We shoot on a weekly basis to keep in practice.

A good gun safe is a great investment.

The people who think we don't need guns are usually non-hunters/shooters -- those who think if we do away with guns that crime will stop (HA)-- and those who have never been threatened with their life by some scumbag or think they never will.

A few years ago they did a survey in some unnamed large cities to see how long it took an outoftowner to find illegal drugs and guns. Both were found within an hour.

Only if we stick together can we protect our freedoms.

Thanks for the heads up, Gunflint.

But, I have a hard time believing Seifert and Cornish are siding with the "anti-gunners".

That's some crazy stuff.

Side note, Seifert isn't even a metro area rep. He's from Marshall!!!!!!

Yea but Seifert has been mentioned as a possible candidate for governor. Gotta start playing all the angles for votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

As far as shooting in the metro, I live in Shakopee and about 500 feet away along county road 83 their is goose hunters out there every year. I will admit it gets a little annoying at 6:00am hearing the guns a blazin. So I guess I would be in favor of this. Even though it is perfectly legal in the city limits.

Just another piece of [PoorWordUsage] gun legislation that needs to be stopped. Gun laws are just a slippery slope. The next thing you know we'll be fighting harder for conceal carry.

Stop this so we can slow the fight against guns.

Just remember guns dont kill people, people kill people.

Did anyone see the big story on 20/20 on Friday. I just caught part of it but they said something like a child dies every 6 days or 6 children a day from accidental gun handling. The whole thing seemed pretty anti as they brought out nothing but negatives about guns.

Great just what we need, blame the guns for stupid parents. How about we a get a law that charges parents with murder if they leave their guns out and their kids shoot themselves or any one else.

We need parents to be responsible gun owners. Blame the parents not the guns.

Public support for gun control is at the lowest level since 1959.

Just 29% favor gun control.

According to the latest Gallup poll.

But you won't find information like this in the mainstream media.