Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nordern

Patching an Otter Canvas

8 posts in this topic

I already bought the patch kit from Otter but I'd like to know if there are any special techniques involved with patching the canvas. Thanks for any input.

Use fishing line and a needle to attach it. The fabric glue they give you doesn't work at all

Cut circles not squares. The corners on squares catch and peel. The best thing is to patch on both sides with the adhesive they give you. sewing of course would hold best but there are plenty of great canvas glues out there you can use.

I used a product, I think it was called Tare Mender, and had good results with it.

I belong to a fishing club and one of the members uses Shoe Goo for canvas repairs and says it works great. I am going to try it on my Otter this spring.

Cut circles not squares. The corners on squares catch and peel.

Good tip. I've been having some issues with the patches I put on doing that (catching and peeling). When it's time to replace them I'll try the circle trick.

This is what I used to repair my fish house. Bought it from Canvas Craft but I have seen it at hardware stores. Works great and sets up fast.

13227.jpg

Thank you all for the good tips. Sorry thing is I still have the Otter in the bed of my truck. I just hate to give up but all of the lakes around me are wide open. Guess it's time to dig out the fishing boat......

I had to repair a hole in my eskimo. used the tare mender, but still sew it afterwards. been a couple of years and still holding strong.