• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel Pump on a 2005 F 150 Crew cab V8

anyone been having any problems like i am. I went out to start my truck yesterday, and it wont start, but it dont sound like the fuel pump is working?

How much is this job going to cost me! I think i have a buddy that can do it, but is it worth the money taken it to a dealership being i am out of warentee!

Any Advice!

there should be a test port on the fuel rail. carefully press in the schrader (if there is pressure fuel will spray out!!!) If little to nothing comes out then use ford tool #HAMMER and tap the fuel tank in the center while somebody tries to start it. If it starts your on the right track in thinking the fuel pump is bad!

When you are trying to start it (cranking over engine) is there any security red lights rapidly blinking in the dash cluster?

Do you use more than one key to try and start it? Just a hunch!

BNS, there isnt a shrader valve on this truck. It has a sensor on the fuel rail that you can monitor fuel pressure with a scan tool , or you will need to adapt a fuel pressure gauge in line either at the fuel rail line, or at the fuel filter. This pump is ran from a fuel pump driver module, and the fpdm is more common to go bad then an actual fuel pump, but it can still be a fuel pump. To test this system at home, there is 2 different ways to do it, ck for voltage out of the fpdm to the pump, if it is above 10 volts and the pump isnt running, then its a pump, if there is less then 8 volts then it is the fpdm.. The other way to test it is to jump 12 volts and a ground to the pump, if it starts then it was the fpdm, if the pump doesnt run after jumping power and ground to it, its a pump.

I feel for you, and am in a similar predicament. I'm at 98k on my 02 Dakota. Had some issues where it takes 3-4 seconds to start when cold. If I primed it in the "on" position first, it would start right up. Thought I had 2000 miles left on my extended warranty. They were fixing a window and the starting problem for I thought the $100 warranty deductable.

Douuughhh! There was also a 7 year trigger on the warranty that expired on April 1st. So had I brought it in 10 days ago (been happening for weeks), it would have been covered. Anyway, long story short I need a fuel pump. Talked them down at the dealership to $800, but still seems real expensive to me. The whole sending unit needs replacement.

Hope you're not in for a fuel pump. Good luck.

Quote:
Any time you can get out the door for less than a $1,000 your doing pretty good. Figuring the cost of the tow, Diagnostic time, the Parts, and labor there aren't to many that leave for under a grand!

Airjer,

Touche! Not to hijack...but last week I had both front bearings replaced and both IWE accuators (sp?) replaced on the front end of my 04 F150...

parts, labor, diagnostics, etc = $999.00

Very rare that pops off on it's own. Was someone messing with ya?

And why did you say it had fuel whistlegrin

could it be anything else if its not starting and we have fuel?

I have the truck at work, and im off today, so i wont know anything until tommorrow!

Did you just mean you had gas in the tank, after Air told you to check for fuel pressure at the valve onthe fuel rail???? gringrin

With as many Fords as I have seen towed into the dealers I have worked at, maybe once have I seen one I was dealing with have an issue like BNS had confused and that was a faulty switch in the end (I think)

Once the inertia switch is tripped, you do not go far. wink

I went out to start my truck yesterday, and it wont start, but it dont sound like the fuel pump is working?

Very rare I would say this would happen, unless some one bumped into the truck with another vehicle or someone was playing a little prank winkgrin