• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Chev Silverado Z71 - Interior Rattle

Ok, I have a noise on the passenger side interior of my 2004 Silverado. Its about to drive me mad, cuz I can't locate the source.

The sound appears to be coming from near the passenger side dash. It sounds like two pieces of plastic rattling against each other. It doesnt seem to start until I reach at least 35 mph. I have checked everything I can reach in behind the glove box, under the dash, and in the engine compartment. (Including the glove box latch, weather stripping, etc.)

Are there any common issues I should be checking for here?

Any help would be really appreciated because this is starting to drive me crazy!! crazy

If it has a bug deflector, take it off and try it without. If that doesn't work look at the plastic cowl piece on the outside. The one that goes between the windshield and the hood. If the bug deflector cures it, donate it to the local landfill. IMHO they don't do anything anyway. Good Luck.

My last 2 trucks (07 2500hd, 08 GMC Sierra) made what sounds like that noise after I installed the bug deflector on them. The bug deflector works wonders up here in mosquito country! I tried to stick with a lower profile deflector on my GMC...that seemed to help some as I now don't hear any noise until around 65 mph.

I've found several that the noise was caused by a loose cowl piece (plastic cover under wipers) or the little rubber flapper that covers the hood hinge. Sometimes its just loose screws holding the cowl, sometimes the cowl is cracked near the screw. Either way its an easy fix if thats the problem.

As the others said, this noise can also be exacerbated by bug deflectors.

I've checked every one of the options mentioned. No bug deflector, so its not that. I checked the plastic cowling just under the back edge of the hood, and while that is loose somewhat, it wasnt the source of the noise. I also checked the little flap that covers the hinge, but that wasnt the issue either.

It defeinitely sounds like its coming from inside. Another way to describe the noise would be as if you had left a plastic nut or washer sitting on the dash and you could hear it vibrating as you drive. Its really annoying, I just wish I could locate the source...

The next step then for me would be to remove the glove box door and pull the glove box liner and see if something is loose in that area. Leave it off and have somebody drive it while you ride shotgun and try moving things around to locate the noise. It may take some time but you will find it..just have to keep digging.

I had one one time that the customer described as a rattle. I wasn't sure what noise of the 300 or so different noises the customer was concerned with so we went for a drive together. As soon as we hit a bump he said that's it. I opened the ash tray and put the cigarette lighter back in its socket!

The moral of the story sometimes its right there and all you need is a fresh perspective. Maybe have somebody else drive while you poke and prod?

Not that I am aware of, but I have certainly thought of that possibility... That is exactly what the kind of thing I first thougt of too.

Anyone know how diffiult it is to disassemble the dash on this vehicle?

all i can think of is Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy dumping the bag of peanut m&ms down the defrost hole.

I've never taken apart the top of the dash. To get the surround off around the guages and radio is fairly simpy that just snaps off and on. You will have to put the gear selector down into first to schimmy it over and off.