Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskielaw

00 Pro-V vs. 04 Explorer?

15 posts in this topic

Could use some help in making a decision on buying a used boat that I have narrowed down between 2 which are essentially the same price. I have never fished out of either of these boats and the difference in years and models have me confused. One is a 2000 Pro-v 1800 with a 150 Yamaha HDPI 2 stk and the other is a 2004 Lund Explorer 1800 with a 2003 150 Suzuki 2 Stk. Both have comparable electronics and bow mount trolling motor. I know the Pro V was only used about 8 times per year so fairly low miles and it is the original owner. The explorer is on 2nd owner and I am not certain as to the miles. Cosmetically both boats are in great shape and well maintained. First question assuming they are the same price which would be the better buy? Second, any opinions as to a fair price for either of these boats assuming no electronics or trolling motor? I should also mention that I do an equal amount of muskie, bass and walleye fishing if that makes a difference to anyone. TIA

Pro V, all the way. Better boat to start and only one owner.

I like the Pro V layout better. But only you can decide between the 2. Crawl around in both and drive both if you can then decide.

If the Pro V is in good condition go with that.

I have a 04 Explorer and its a great boat but the Pro V gives you more storage and a better lay out.

A few months ago I bought a 17 ft Mr Pike. I love the boat, however, I can definitly see myself upgrading to a larger boat such as a Pro-V in 5-10 years.

I'd suggest getting the Pro-V, you'll appreciate the additional room and storage. Just make sure it can fit in your garage if thats where your planning on storing it.

suzuki 2 stroke?

I would get the pro-v if it was me.

As for the price, shot in the dark, Somewhere just shy of 20k.

17K-18K? Just a guess.

Pro-V is a stonger boat than the Explorer. Look at the hull plate thickness and compare.

I had a Pro-V and my brother in law has a Explorer and I noticed that the Explorer hull had a little bit of flex in it.

Never saw that on the Pro-V. The wistle and bells on the Pro-V are way better than the Explorer. Plus more lockable storage!

Also down the road the Pro-V resale value will be better.

2000 18 ProV IFS: Weight: 1580, horsepower: 175, length: 18-4, amidship: 35 1/2", bow: 40", stern: 92", beam: 92", thickness: .08/.100 and .100.

2004 Explorer 1800 SS: weight: 1240, horsepower: 150, length: 18-1, amidship: 36.5, bow: 42, stern: 95", bow: 96", thickness: .063/.08 and .08.

Apparently the 150 was the only 2 stroke Suzuki still made in 2003. It said it was EFI. It will use more gas than the HPDI and smoke more as well. I think I would go for the Yamaha since it is low hours. But that's just me.

Am just curious what extras does a Pro v have that an explorer doesn't. The only thing I found is that the explorer is a little lighter, witch makes it a little wetter of a boat on BIG water.

Thanks for everyone's input! I have decided to go with the pro-v and am picking it up this weekend. Don't know if I will sleep for the next couple of days. See you on the water!

Thanks for everyone's input! I have decided to go with the pro-v and am picking it up this weekend. Don't know if I will sleep for the next couple of days. See you on the water!

The Pro V 1800 is definitely higher on the food chain. I owned a 99 with a 150 VMAX for 8 years. I would recommend that if you haven't done so have the engine checked out by a pro. The 150 VMAX HPDI is a solid engine. They are big powerful machines and develop tremendous torque and can be driven hard. Why not its fun to run at near 50 MPH. The motor is 9 years old and and the early HPDI's had some bugs. A power head for this motor cost about $5000. Don't let appearances fool you. My 99 had lots of run time on the engine and the boat showed some pretty good wear and tear, but the engine looked like the day I took delivery on it. It was solid engine and has given the buyer 2 more years of good service, but he had RJ's go over that engine top to bottom. I think they charged him about $100. What price peace of mind????? My 2 cents