• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

battery question

waterwolff

Question

If I install two 12 volt batteries in my fishouse connecting them together in parallel so as to maintain my 12 volt output but doubling my reserve capacity. With both batteries having equal characteristics. Could I than connect them to one trickle charger. Would they both charge at the same rate or would the battery with the charger leads hooked up to it charge at a higher rate . I really do not want to spend the money on a two bank charger if I can at all avoid it

8 answers to this question

When they're in parallel like that, think of the two as one big battery. In the parallel setup, you still have one of each lead. You just have twice the reserve.

I have my boat hooked up to two batteries this same way. My trolling motor runs forever on them. I do have a problem recharging them though, I have an automatic charger that never shuts off on them when they should be full. I can leave them on a full charge or a trickle charge for very long periods of time and no luck. If I disconnect them from each other I can charge each of them individually to a full charge in a 1/4 of the time. Does anybody else have this problem?
Thanks for the help, this forum is the best!!!

You should be able to equalize the charge by placing the Pos on one of the batteries posts and the Neg on the other battery. If one battery is weaker it will draw more of the charge. .02

Ret-ro smile.gif

Shumacher automatic I think tomorrow I'll disconnect them and measure the voltage between the posts maybe I have a bad battery these came out of my boat so they may be pretty beat up but was planning on replacing them next spring anyway.
Mike