• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing Bear Baits

So I've come across this great bakery source of bear baits...I'm not the first one to do this obviously, so I'll come out with the question...How do you store bear baits without stinking up a garage, ruining your bait, etc.

Seems like an obvious question for a newbie, but I couldn't find any previous threads on the question.

Thanks in advance.

Find a used freezer and fill it up now while bait is still relatively easy to get. When the season gets closer everyone is out trying to gather bait.

I know a lot of people that will use a rubermade container to help "form" the bakery stuff. Some guys i know will put a garbage bag inthe rubber maid and squish in as many as they can forming a Brick for lack of better terms. They put the brick into the freezer to keep it square and nicely shaped. After they are baiting they take it out to the bait pile in the brick and that way it's nice and easy to handle.

Nobody has enough freezer space to store significant quantities of bear bait (at least the amounts I'm used to using. Similar to dehydrating food, if you can keep air from getting to it you can store it a few months without freezing. The outfitter i hunted with in Alberta a few years ago had an in with Tim Hortons (Canada's big bakery chain)and he collected bait heavy all winter in 55 gallon drums with heavy construction plastic bags. Compressed everything and used a vacuum system to suck the air out, sealed up the drum, and the stuff was mold free, soft, and good smelling when we used it in May. If you do have access to several freezers though, that is definitely easier.

Wait and get cereal in late July.You can buy it bulk from general mills factory. Keep only a few pastries and use after they are hittin to hold them there. They take up too much room. Last resort,smash them to make more room and put in freezer.

When my freezers get full I use storage totes for any size for the breads and pasteries, for every bag of pasteries I put in a tote I cover them with greese, it dosent mold an pretty much presserves the breadstill use. Bear love breads an grease so it makes sense to me to just store it that way. Five gallon buckets with lids work great also, then ya just grab a bucket an head out bait, dump your bait, add some dry dog food an what ever secret recipe, I usually have a bucket of grease an breads an a bucket of dry mix, cereal, or popcorn, or dog food, or bear lunch, or liqorice, or what ever an miz an match to reduce burn out, Man this is getting me pumped, gotta start collecting bait. Later boar