• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do YOU support the outdoors?

I have been noticing a lot of people speaking their minds and expressing their opinions on a lot of outdoor issues. Then I got to thinking, ya know, I'm a member to quite a few outdoors clubs. How many of you guys also contribute to organizations that help your outdoors. I'm not taking anyone out at the knees who doesn't. I'm just curious. I guess I'll start and list mine:

Associate Member of the Pope and Young Club

Member of the North American Hunting Club

subscribe to The Outdoor News

Field and Stream

Rack

Outdoor Life

And, most importantly, a member of the NRA!

ps, also member of this great site laugh

and I'm not even thirty yet blush

I helped build and currently sit on the board for a non profit hunting organization, sit on the local Muskie Inc chapter board, subscribe to a few mags and also a NAFC and NAHC life member. Also frequent several BB's such as this.

I also donate my time when I can each spring to help the DNR with the spring gill netting for the local hatchery.

I have two vehicles with the conservation plates on them. I buy most stamps, even if I'm not planning on using them and I give/donate to variuos organizations for banquets etc.

Most importantly though, I take my 9 and 11 year olds out fishing with me almost every time I go and this year was the 1st time out in the field with them. I teach them respect for the outdoors and pass along those things my dad did for me. Passing it on from generation to generation....priceless.

Member of Pheasants Forever

Buy fishing license

Buy small game hunting license

Buy pheasant stamp

Buy deer hunting license

Buy early season goose hunting license

Buy federal waterfowl stamp

Buy state waterfowl stamp

Buy rifle ammunition

Buy pistol ammunition

Buy shotgun shells

Buy fishing tackle and other gear

Buy hunting gear

I didnt think the North American Hunting Club was a nonprofit conservation organization. are they?

I agree, being a mag subscriber doesnt count towards supporting the outdoors.

I am on the board of 2 Pheasants Forever chapters. Been involved with a TON of stuff with PF. Habitat work, youth days, etc. Also a member of the Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation and TIP (although I think I have lapsed recently, this is a good reminder for me to go renew).

I have taught Firearm Safety for 10 years and volunteered a couple of times at the sportshow on the DNR laser shot gallery.

I'm with Zepman on teaching our kids about the outdoors and having respect for our resources.

I currently belong to a couple conservation groups. I have belonged to many in the past.

I do conserve my own use of our resources.

I started a lake clean up this year that I hope will grow in future years.

I call or write my elected officials when something concerns me.

And like Bob stated, buy, buy, buy.....

if your going to count all subscriptions even those that are non profit organizations, then you may as well count paying for internet and tv bills. I learn alot by searching the web and watching tv but i dont count that as a way of supporting the outdoors. Buying stamps (which i buy ALOT of ranging from MN to SD) and joining non profit organizations were they actually put money into the outdoors would be supporting the outdoors, or dedicating your own personal free time with events supporting outdoors. I guess thats how i look at it but its just my opinion also. As for me i plant trees in the summer and within 2 months we will be planting roughly 28,000 trees and i hope it helps out alot of wildlife in the years to come. Im a member of Muskies Inc and the MN Trail Hound Association. Realisticly i dont think i support the outdoors enough and i know alot of people on here do WAY more than I. when I get older (19 now) hopefully i can contribute more volunteer time.

I don't snowmobile where I shouldn't and don't 4 wheeler where I shouldn't. All the licensing and the land I have bought I have left as is, no buildings or nothing done to it that would be a negative thing toward the outdoors, just a few other ways I try to help.

There's many other things to, such dry conditions in july,august,september lately so we dug a few water holes for the critters. We keep seeding down an alfalfa field we don't need anymore, we don't even hay it or have animals anymore, but the turkeys and deer enjoy it and saw some pheasants on it's edges strutting their stuff this week. I have mineral licks on all 3 properties and simply owning them and not wrecking the habitat because most likely like so many properties in the area if someone else did own them chances are there'd be a house and outbuildings on them or they'd be subdivided into smaller parcels and possible 4 wheeler trails and etc. I just try my best to preserve what I have and leave things the way they have always been. Planted quite a few different varieties of trees and bushes and cut down as needed some very mature trees.

Yo Vister, wasn't sure if you meant financially or like my last post about what we do to the land etc. and I want to add after reading my post I am not against anyone building a house in the woods or anything like that. Ex. My grandpa's old dairy farm and land got all messed up and somehow my dad and I never got a crack at it which is very depressing, the deal went through without us knowing and once the dotted line was signed we'd never have it again, new owner built 2 houses on it and they have about 10 dogs, where I used to sit on the edge of that swamp, 1 huge deer trail where I had seen hundreds over the years come out of the swamp, the houses were built right over that deer trail and now that whole edge of the swamp is somewhat ruined. Anyway, our funds are spread out everywhere with a monthly fee attached to most, I've bought 25 years of pheasant stamps and have taken 7 career birds, is our lottery money supposed to help fund our outdoors ? I know we all are chipping in to help others in the outdoors by federal duck stamps and WMA purchases and WPA's and I haven't scalded a duck in a bunch of years now. I think for the most part we all help as much as we have the time and money for.

Member of:

PF, NWTF, RMEF, MDHA. Contribute to local youth programs. Conservation Plates, buy most MN licenses/stamps and a couple out of state. Plant food plots, fight noxious weeds.

Pick up others litter!

And most importantly, I constantly maintain the Positive Image of the Hunter meaning considering how your actions may be viewed by others, especially the non-hunting majority. That's how we ensure hunting continues as we know it forever.