• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Advice

Hey guys,

I need some advice about musky reels, mainly three that I am looking at. I have read through some other posts about reels and rods but by the time I am done with the thread I feel like I am at square one again because of all the different opinions and info. So here it is....

First one will be going on a 7'9 heavy fast action that I was planning to use for bucktails, and then maybe some top water lures. Reel Im looking at is the Shimano Curado 300DSV.

Then the 2nd set up will be 7'6 XH fast action for throwing jerk baits, cranks, bulldawgs, ect... and the reel Im looking at for that is the St. Croix Avid AC300A

The third option is the Abu Revo Toro.. I have a revo STX for bass fishing I really like, but have heard mixed reviews for Abu when it comes to heavier gear.

My main concern is having a reel that will last and not break with heavy use. Last fall my buddy and I hit the skis hard and his 6500c ended up having a number of problems and eventually breaking.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Trevor

I own a Curado and love it, it's currently on a 7' 10" Loomis and last year was my primary cowgirl rod along with a few times pulling jerk bait duty.

This years cowgirl combo will be a 60 Toro in the 5:3 gears sitting on a Custom Thorne Bros 9' Predator rod. I'm not a fan of Abu's at all but I think the Toro is a well built muskie reel, but only time will tell.

No opinion on the Croix reel, never used one, I belive its built on the Diawa Millionair reel. I have found though if it says Shimano on it chances are its a good one.

Your first setup that you mentioned I would recommend the Curado or the Toro both are great low profile reels if thats what your looking for. If your looking at a round bait casting reel which I would suggest. I would definetly look at the daiwa saltist. It is similar to a trinidad without the cost and they do make it in a level wind model. You can easily use it for burning the blades fast if you want to. The round style saltwater reels from my experience are built heavier and seem to take little more abuse compared to the low profiles.

Your second setup listed I wouldn't see a problem. I believe the st. croix avid reel is made by daiwa. I think it is the same thing as there luna model which is a great reel for doing what you want to do with it.

Curado's are great. I'd actually use one for both setups. Having the higher gear ratio is nice for picking up line on lures like bulldogs and jerk baits.

I can't speak to St. Croix reels, but i'm pretty happy with my Calcutta's and Curado's. I'm like esox_magnum, if it says shimano, i'm a happy camper. Can't wait to throw this trinidad this weekend!

the 2nd set up will be 7'6 XH fast action for throwing jerk baits, cranks, bulldawgs, ect... and the reel Im looking at for that is the St. Croix Avid AC300A

Trevor

You will really like the St. Croix AC300A, I have had a St. Croix reel for 3 yrs and ZERO problems.

6500c3 for small to Medium size Baits

7000's for DCG's / Large Baits

I do agree using a Higher speed gear ratio is nice for "picking up line" for Jerk baits.

ABU = Reliable, dependable, "Proven Track Record"

Clean / oil reels as needed by amount of use.

Eventually you will have to replace the reel, no different then replacing your

Blue Jeans.

Tell that to the three busted Abu's on my shelf that have been repaired and stripped out again on the first time out.

After that ordeal, I picked up the curado's and a calcutta 400B, same fishing/lures/user, no problems.

We are really hard on our gear too. I swore I wouldn't ever buy an Abu again since I have had them break the same season I bought them everytimem. But ended up buying a 7000c3 last year. So much for sticking to my guns.

Here's what worked for me last year. The first year no reels broke:

Abu 7000c3-bulldawgs, topwater, cranks, non-burning bucktails all blade sizes (all purpose reel)

Curado-jerkbaits, glidebaits, walk the dog topwater

Daiwa Saltist-Burning bucktails (all blade sizes)

Originally Posted By: WARRIORBOATMAN

Tell that to the three busted Abu's on my shelf that have been repaired and stripped out again on the first time out.

After that ordeal, I picked up the curado's and a calcutta 400B, same fishing/lures/user, no problems.

Same reason most my reels are Shimanos. I use the cheap old Corsairs and Corvalus other than the Curado and none have been touched in 4 years of abuse. The Toro I feel is the only muskie reel Abu makes, I hope it don't make a fool of me.

We have also started using Okuma Indurons and so far they have held up great but only 1 season on them so far. The Lunas we ran last year, neither made it past mid season before needing repaired. The 2 Records I fished with ( A friends)both went down within days of being new.

1 of my partners is the type that can break and anvil with a rubber hammer, the only reels to last him a full season are the Calcutta B's.

I can buy Abus cheap and pay full price elsewhere for my muskie reels.

Same reason most my reels are Shimanos. I use the cheap old Corsairs and Corvalus other than the Curado and none have been touched in 4 years of abuse. The Toro I feel is the only muskie reel Abu makes, I hope it don't make a fool of me.

Thanks for all the input! Curado is being ordered tomorrow and then the 7'6 rod and AC300A will be ordered by opener. I would like the Toro but Im not sold on Abu's quality when it comes to the heavier gear yet.

interesting on the divide between shimano and abu

my buddy had 2 corvalus and 1 corsair burn out on him in one season. i haven't had any problems with Abu... yet anyways. I wonder if its just luck of the draw, some guys get the bad reels of one brand and never use them again maybe

I'm sure alot has to do with days/hours on the water per year and baits thrown. Myself I log hundreds of hours a year, countless days, and I don't throw small stuff. Wades Wobblers and a Hellhounds the low end of my bait selection up to Mag Dawgs, 11" Curlie Sues and here soon my 8oz Mag treat.

I had 400+ hours, 70+ days ( some just 2-3 hours after work) my reel of choice and the one that caught most my muskies last year was a Corsair I got off Da Bay 4 years ago used.

Everyone has a favorite, like Ford Vers Chevy, some like cheap Fords I like the top end GMC's laugh

While I agree just in general that Shimano makes a higher quality reel in most models and most respects, and the Calcutta is my all-around favorite, calling Corsairs and Corvallus high-end GMC's is a bit of a stretch smile

SStracker if you want to save a few bucks over the new St. Croix 300 I've got a Daiwa Millionare 300 that just got back from the factory with new bearings and drag that I would sell for $170 shipped. This is essentially the same reel as the Croix. It does not have the big rubber grips that the Croix does, but you can certaintly get one from Thorne bros. or Rollie and Helens.

SStracker if you want to save a few bucks over the new St. Croix 300 I've got a Daiwa Millionare 300 that just got back from the factory with new bearings and drag that I would sell for $170 shipped. This is essentially the same reel as the Croix. It does not have the big rubber grips that the Croix does, but you can certaintly get one from Thorne bros. or Rollie and Helens.

Do you mean Daiwa Luna 300? Cause these Millionaire reels went for like 79.99 new before and am finding them for $64.99.

in the end, if you really think muskie hunting is what you want, you'll want at least one TE. i've found there really is no other for my main bigfish casting reels. and worth every single penny. from durability to ease of casting to the effortless retrieves. every single cent.... no... i'm not sponsored by them smile ...abu's work great for lead line trolling, and trolling in general is an option, but for casting and retrieving my arms and wrists don't miss them one bit. and from an outing standpoint, i never had a trip ruined because my TE's went kaputt... my two cents.

Shimano is the first name in durability - I love an Abu 7000 but you better have a half dozen because if you hit the water more than a couple times a week they will need almost constant repair.

Is there a reason you are turning to Low Profile reels? Because in essence it may work, but these Lo Pro's are not meant for heavy baits like Dawgs. They are a great secondary reel, but for day to day standard use you need to go bigger. They spawned from heavy inshore app's, like 1.5oz red fish jigs and 5 inch cranks. I used a Toro prototype last year for a bit and it did retrieve DCG's decent and burned the heck out of Double Showgirls. But for 6+ ounces your better off with a Calcutta 400b or TE. There are a lot of great reels out there that musky nuts don't even recognize. Here is a great site for a multitude of reels. Check it out!

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]