• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkeys with a bow

onlydrakes4me

Hi, I have turkey hunted a couple times in the past, but wanted to try something different this year. I would like to take one with my bow. I was wondering if anyone here had any tips or sugestions. Blind type, blind location, decoy location etc.

thanks Grant

Patience is key to hunting turks with archery tackle. Try to do some scouting so you have a feel of where the birds go during the day. If they typically roost in spot A and end up in spot B to strut/mill around for awhile. Setup a blind somewhere in between and call sparingly. Blind type really isn't all that important as long as you're comfortable with setting it up and shooting out of it. I don't like to shoot through the screens on turkeys and they don't mind one bit about the open windows as long as they don't spot ya moving. I'll usually put out a hen decoy, but if you're in a spot where you pretty sure the birds will be filtering through anyhow, you could go without to start. Then if that fails, try a hen decoy, then maybe add a jake to the spread. They educate fast so keep your options open. Bowhuting turks is a blast but you've got to be patient and have confidence in your spot that the birds will eventually come to check you out. Run & gun tactics are tough when you're carrying a blind, bow, decoys, pack, video cam, etc. Have fun & best of luck on your hunt.

Stick just gave you some good advice. The only thing I would disagree with is, I'll always start by putting decoys out. Let the birds tell me if they don't like them, then you can reduce them if necessary. I will start with a jake and one or two hens, or more early in the season. As the season progresses I'll use fewer.

One thing about decoys and blinds. When I'm bowhunting, I'll put the decoys close, 10 yards. Make sure they face you. A tom that responds will want to get in front of them. That puts them right in your lap. And don't hesitate to put that blind right in the middle of a field if that's where the birds spend the day. It doesn't need to be brushed in like it would for deer.

I currently shoot the rage expandibles for deer hunting, so i planned on using them for turkey hunting. planning on hunting out of a blind without netting.

I am hunting in season C so I was planning on using hen decoys but wondering if I should use a tom turkey or a jake. Or should I scout the area a few days before an just observe how agressive the toms are.

I would think that C is early enough that you could use two or more hens and a jake. A tom decoy could be used instead of the jake if you're not worried about scaring away smaller toms.

Your deer set up sounds perfect, the Rage Broadheads are a fine choice for turkeys.