• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To buy the extended warranty or not?

setterguy

Question

I've always bought them, seems like a good way to protect your investment, but every time I've tried to use them its a PITA. We are considering buying a new computer (Mac) and and wondering if you guys ever buy the extended warranty when you make big purchases. It is 239.00 for 3 years, I'm thinking if I would have just taken all the money I've spent on these stupid things and put it in the bank I could take a nice trip to Costa Rica or something. Right now I'm leaning no on the warranty...tell me what you think.

And now that all those warranties have expired, you could have pracitally bought a new appliance when one breaks down with the $500.00 spent on extended warranties. That's always the case though. If you have it you won't need it. If you don't have it then it breaks down all the time.

Laptops, it's a good idea because they are a PITA to work on and parts are a little higher in price. Desktops, waste of money. You can get so many parts online and localy for low prices, it makes no sense to me. Check out General Nano Systems in MPS for great PCs and parts.

I'll second General Nano Systems, I've only heard good things about them.

Bob has the best response in my opinion. An extended service contract is nothing more than insurance. If you think that you could afford to pay out of pocket for a major breakdown then you shouldn't purchase the extended service. If you can imagine a failure that would cause you serious financial hardship, then maybe the extended service contract is worth a few extra dollers per month or a little more money up front. My health insurance company makes money of 95% of their customers but I couldn't afford the treatment if I get cancer, thus I have health insurance.

The only thing I have purchased the extended warrenty for is the Ipods for my kids. We were able to get new and sometimes free upgrades when the Ipods were damaged. Teenagers will find a way of damaging most anything. IMO some items are well worth paying for extended warrenties.

That is not the 1st time I have heard of issues with extended warranties.

With PCs the things is if you get a 3 yr warranty, they can run into issues of replacement parts availability. As fast as that stuff progresses they don't always have the parts available to fix them. So you sit and wait while they try to find them, you also may wind up with refurbished parts.