• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planning Canadian Fishing Trip- Need advice and help

Hey everyone, I know many posts have been started like mine, but I have some very specific "needs" for my trip and would like to get everyone's opinion. I am currently planning my "dream trip" to canada. It will be my first time going to canada and I will be driving up trailering my boat from southern WI. My girlfriend and I really want to find a lake that has tent camping opportunities on an island or shoreline area. We really want to do this trip independently without the help of a guide or outfitter/resort. We would like to find a lake that has very remote areas and where we can find some seclusion. We would like to fish a lake that has a lot of islands, back bays, and areas to get out of the wind if it is bad weather during our trip. Basically we do not want to fish a huge open "bowl" lake. We are primarily looking for a lake that has opportunities to catch large walleyes, along with good numbers of fish. If big pike opportunities are present, that would be a huge bonus also. We are open to all areas of Ontario, but would preferably like to stay south of Perrault Falls or Dryden, otherwise the drive would start to get pretty long for us. So far from reading other posts, we have heard Gull Rock Lake, Whitefish lake, Wabaskang, Lake St. Joseph, and Pasha Lake. The time of year we would be going is late June or early July. Our boat is a 17 foot with a 115 hp, so if there is motor restrictions on any of the lakes you suggest, that would be an issue for us. If you have a sleeper lake in mind for us and do not want to post it on here, please feel free to message me. We love to explore out of the way lakes that have great scenery and great fishing, even if the landing is a pain to get to. We practice catch and release for the most part and occasionally keep some eaters for shorelunch. We also make sure to pack out everything we bring in and leave no trash behind. Thanks for any suggestions you may have for us. Have a great open water season.

GoggleEye

check out the Minaki Ontario area...Big Sand-Little Sand...on the Winnepeg river system...great numbers of Trophy Walleye, Smallmouth, Northern & Muskies...there are resorts & such right in Minaki with very reasonable rates and decent boat launches...as for camping on islands or mainlands around the system, I think it is still available on queen's land but you need a permit..."I think"....Camping remember has it's risks...one year we were camped on the north end of Big Sand on the mainland...went out fishing, just in front of camp...looked back and watched a bear raiding our coolers!! We went back to shore and chased him off...repacked our stuff and went back fishing....when we returned he'd came back and destroyed one tent and one cooler...needless to say we moved to an Island...but that doesn't necessarily bear proof your camp...I have a friend that has a cabin on an Island in that area and he has bear problems nearly every year!!

your biggest problem it seems is that you will need a resort or guide to get that close to the water for camping. It is against the law for a non resident to camp on the queensland within I think 1/2 Km from any water. Makes it kind of hard. You can still purchase a camping permit where you buy your fishing license, and camp within its limitations. I would tell you to look into the Lac Suel area, sounds alot like what you describe above.

your biggest problem it seems is that you will need a resort or guide to get that close to the water for camping. It is against the law for a non resident to camp on the queensland within I think 1/2 Km from any water. Makes it kind of hard. You can still purchase a camping permit where you buy your fishing license, and camp within its limitations. I would tell you to look into the Lac Suel area, sounds alot like what you describe above.

Sorry for my ignorance (being a Canadian & all crazy ), but WHAT are you talking about shocked... who told you any of this??? Also, what is the "queensland" (other than a territory in Australia, that is confused ) ???

While there are many areas in Ontario that have camping restrictions, there is plenty of land available for camping. You will need to obtain camping permits that are available at all bait stores. The cost is $10 ca per night per person. What I would do if I were you, would be to contact the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and request a map detailing areas that are and are not restricted to camping. Most of the area around Ignace Ont. is not restricted to camping except for the areas immediately surrounding the landings. However, lakes like the ones you are looking for are remote and hard to get to. What I recommend is that you contact and work with a resort. They can set you up with a trip that would meet your specifications. As you learn more about the area then you can make future trips more independently. To get you started I would recommend you contact Flayers Resort in Ignace and ask them about Elephant Lake. You will need to leave your boat at home and rent one form them, but you will never be sorry you followed this advice. They can set you up with a camping trip that will meet the rest of your specifications.

Although the Queen's picture is plastered all over Canada and is even on the money the proper term is "Crown Land"

Ahhh... crownsland. thats what is on all the signs. And sorry for my stupidity, I was not aware there where camping restrictions only in certain places. Guess I'll Need to research a little more to find a couple new adventures. Hard to beat a canadian walleye adventure, Aye?

Y-22 - No disrespect meant. I was replying to the original poster about how to go about planning a trip and give some additional on camping restrictions and allowances. I just happen to reply under your post.

As far as the Crown Land comment goes -- the native seem to be a little miffed so I thought clear it up. You are right nothing beats a Canadian fishin-mission.

DD

I'd suggest the Can side of LOTW. Fits the bill for most of what you mentioned, and from my (limited) research so far you can pick up a crownsland camping permit in Sioux Narrows and camp most places. The "no camping by the water" thing concerns me though. Anyone confirm or rebuke that?

Traveler - Any bait shop that issues fishing licensees has the camping permits for purchase. In the areas in Ontario that do not restrict camping for non-Canadians there are still restrictions on camping at landings. Most landings have signs posting the restriction limit which I believe is about 1/2 a mile. Camping is allowed out on the lake and shorelines beyond the restricted area near the landing.

I've been fishing a lake north of Ignace for almost 30 years. We park our campers in sites near the road and then have about a 200 yard walk down to the lake where we leave our boats. It's not as nice a camping right on the lake, but given the fishing opportunity this chain of lakes provides the compromise is well worth it. It is way out in the woods. However, some people boat in and camp on the islands.

Northern Light Lake. About 1 1/2 - 2 hours from the border crossing at Grand Portage. Numerous camp sites, bays, islands, and structure. There's a resort/campground where you can obtain licenses and permits as well as bait.

Good lake for walleye, northern, lake trout, whitefish, and smallies. It's about an hour south west of Whitefish lake at the end of the road.

Been fishing it for about 15 years.

Gonorth