• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pegging weights

Craigums

What do you guys use to peg your weights Ive been using toothpicks but think I will try a bobber stop this year so that it doesnt damage the line. Also is there a time where you would prefer NOT to peg the weight?

I would much rather not have it pegged, but if I do peg it, I use a bobber stop.

03.jpg

the sinker is not as near as I normally would have it, the bobber stop slipped when fighting the fish.. but you can see that its pegged with a bobber stop.

Here is an article cut and paste from the MisterTwister web page.

Part 1: Bet on a Noisy Fat Tube

Question: Deitz, how are you catching bass in Minnesota?

Dittrich: Up here, we have problems with curly-leaf pondweed, as well as Eurasian water milfoil, like people in many other parts of the nation. I like to flip heavy cover, but when I’m flipping heavy cover with a jig, it gets hung up in the milfoil more than a tube does.

I enjoy fishing the Mister Twister Fat Tube with a pegged sinker, but I also like to have sound while I’m fishing the tube. For a tube that will punch through heavy cover and make noise, I use what I call the “Deitz rig.” I begin by tying a bobber stopper on my main line, and then place a very small glass bead on my line below the bobber stopper. I leave about 1/2-inch of slack between the bobber stopper and the first glass bead. Next, I add a Tru-Tungsten slip sinker, and then a larger glass bead below the slip sinker. The last step is to tie the hook with the Fat Tube attached on to the line.

Once that tube breaks through that milfoil and begins to sink to the bottom, I’ll shake the tube right under the milfoil. Then the Fat Tube will wiggle, and those beads will clank against the sinker and make sounds. Also, once the tube is on the bottom, I can shake the line and make the tube move. The beads and the weight clank together to give off a sound. I’ve never seen anyone else rig an EXUDE tube like this, but this tactic has won a lot of money for me on the tournament bass-fishing circuit and put plenty of fish in my boat.

Question: On what rod-and-reel combination are you fishing this rig?

Dittrich: I use a Shimano 7-foot, 6-inch Crucial 1-piece flipping stick with medium to heavy action with a Shimano Castaic flipping reel.

Question: What color tube do you like best?

Dittrich: I primarily use two colors, but I pay attention to the water clarity and the brightness of the sun, and try and match the color of tube I’m using to the conditions on the lake that day. If I’m fishing stained water on an overcast day, I really like a black-neon-colored Mister Twister Fat Tube, which is black with red flakes. I’m also really excited about the new grasshopper color that has a yellowish belly with a greenish back. It’s very productive in clear water.

hope this helps.

Hiya -

I have switched almost completely to Northland Sling Shot weights over the last couple years. If you haven't seen them, they're a bullet sinker with a rubber insert kind of like a rubbercore sinker, except your line goes through the little rubber dumbell thingy. To 'peg' your sinker you just grab the rubber ends, and twist a few times. If you just leave it alone, it slips like a regular bullet sinker. Plus you can change weights without having to retie.

Like Cecil, I don't peg my sinkers unless I'm in really heavy cover and the lure and weight get separated.

If I'm not using a Sling Shot weight for some reason: neoprene bobber stop...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I use a small Mojo rig sinker behind a bullet sinker. I could probably just thread the rubber through a regular sinker and that would be good enough.

I have not had much success with the Slingshots. I cannot get them to stay in place. They don't work at all with 8 pound mono and they only kinda work with 17 pound mono.

D.D. ! That is very interesting! grin(another trick so i can beat one of my buddies from the back of HIS boat!)

I agree with having a positive attitude! You can let it make on ruin your day!(example! I was having one of those days fishing. Everything i touched went wrong! mad I almost called it quits, but then decided to make a game out of it to see what ELSE could go wrong! Turned out to be a good day!

I use a small Mojo rig sinker behind a bullet sinker. I could probably just thread the rubber through a regular sinker and that would be good enough.

I have not had much success with the Slingshots. I cannot get them to stay in place. They don't work at all with 8 pound mono and they only kinda work with 17 pound mono.

Ray - if you got them the first year they came out, they did have some issues with not staying, and with flying off when a fish jumped - I had them sailing all over the place when I fished smallies with them. They made some improvements last year and they're a lot better. I use them on #20 fluoro and they're fine.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Rubber pegs, come shaped like a toothpick, slide it through the hole on the bullet weight, it goes from narrow point widening farther back. No damage to the line. Can buy them at most retail stores that carry bass tackle or order them on line.