Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outdoor allure

open water report 4/7

5 posts in this topic

* TROLLING REPORT YES! There have been some boats out from Saxon, and Corny the past few days. I have not heard but would not be surprised if Port Wing, and Bark Point were open as well. There is still alot of ice locked in the bay and Islands. It is not going anywhere soon, and drifting chunks of pack ice are a real threat to early season trollers outside the bay, but if you watch the wind, use your head, and keep your eyes open you can get that boat out in some places for some spring trolling. Reports have been OK. Not as many Coho around this year, but a few small ones. Some Splake and Browns showing up too. The ice in the Islands and Bay is still locked in fairly solid. There are actually still a few people poking out on it by foot and doing a little icefishing. There are rotten spots, open water spots, and bad landings so I cannot reccomend icefishing any more on Lake Superior. Usual Ice out date is sometime in the 3rd week of the month. Then all landings should be clear, and smelting can start. Keep checking in with us online for updates.

* Inland panfishing on some lakes continues to be good, look for fish just off the 1st break, especially on the north side of lakes where the shoreline is starting to erode. As usual, BE CAREFUL on this late ice. Not all lakes are still fishable, but decent late ice conditions should be around thru the weekend in spots.

* Steelhead fishing picked up a little this week. Rivers are coming down and clearing up somewhat, and a trickle of fresh chrome has been reported in the local creeks. Not many fish, but it is a start. Water conditions effect the fishing immensly, conditions change rapidly with runoff and rains, and can go from excellent to unfishable and back in a short while. It is best to watch the weather and call for up to the minute condition reports. Fish low and slow in the cold muddy water, with spawn, yarn, or bright salmon/steelhead patterns for the best early season results. Good luck out there, CRAIG

nice post outdoor, hope to get out there soon in the boat!

I checked Port wing on Sunday and there was ice going way the heck out there.

UPDATE As of today it looks like Saxon Harbor is the only fishable port for the weekend. There have been guys trolling there all week, and reports have been decent. Better numbers of Coho, but lot's of little throwback fish in the 10-12 inch range. A few nicer salmon up to 18", a couple splake, browns, and a few lakers. Everything has been coming on shallow stickbaits fished off boards in the shallowest fishable water you can find. Lot's of guys saying they are going there this weekend, so be prepared for a busy ramp. Good Luck,

Craig, Outdoor Allure, Washburn.