• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunglasses

champion198elite

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has been kicked around in other threads and you can check those. Bottom line is I would go to a place like Cabelas or Gander that have several brands of high quality glasses and try them on for fit etc. Don't be afraid to ask to take a couple pair outside, if you're dropping big bucks they should let you.

My research has shown that Maui's will outfish Oakleys by about 2 1/2 to 1.

I not only hunt fish but also ride my bike and the Maui Jims seem to stay on my head, nothing like blowing a pair of $300.00 glass's off only to look in the review mirror and see some one smile and crush them. Plus it was a wedding present from my daughter when she got married cause I'm such a nice dad lol

I have an old pair of Oakley A-Wire Polarized glasses that work very well. I need to replace the lenses on them though. Couple lures to the face have scratched the lenses a few times and the coating started to go away at the edges from improper storage. I am very happy with them though, they have served me for 8 years now, and just now need replacement glass.

I think I'm gonna get some Costa Blackfins or Hammerheads... it looks like I'm gonna have to order them direst though. I did however just buy another pair of smiths at Sportsmans Warehouse because all optics are 40% off. I have always liked my smiths.

Hiya -

I've worn Ocean Waves for the past several years. Love the lenses... IMHO the Backwater Green lens is about as good as it gets for spotting fish and seeing details underwater. By far the best I've ever worn when it comes to muskie fishing. On the other hand...the frames aren't the greatest. OW is great about replacing broken pairs, but packing up a box of broken shades to send back is a spring ritual.

This year I'm going to be trying some Costa 580s. Guys I know that have them love the things.

If you are using the cheap, $10 'polarized' glasses, please consider making the investment in a high quality pair. The fishing benefits are there, but really minor in the grand scheme of things. Long term eye health is way more important. Cheap glasses only block UV-A spectrum UV rays. So does a piece of colored plastic - which frankly is about what you're wearing with a pair of cheap sunglasses. What you need are lenses that block UV-B and UV-C spectrum rays. Those are the ones that cause eye fatigue in the short term, and eye damage long term. Poor optical quality - slightly misaligned lenses or less than perfect lens shape - also really adds to eye strain. If you come off the water with a headache or 'tired' eyes, that's eye strain. Look for glasses that meet ANSI standards, and you'll be in good shape. Most of the brands talked about here - Costa del Mar, Maui Jim, Ocean Waves, Oakley - meet ANSI standards on their upper end optics. I know all kinds of guys will say they won't spend a lot of money on glasses because they'll just lose them or break them, but believe me, when you drop $150+ on a pair of shades, you suddenly become very good at keeping track of them. I have half a dozen pairs, and I can tell you where all of them are right now smile

In all seriousness, for eye health reasons alone, please consider getting some good glasses. I've seen the results of not doing so (my dad, who is a farmer and has never worn decent sunglasses in his life), and it isn't pleasant.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Personally, I would never ever buy a pair of sunglasses, especially expensive ones without trying them on. We all have different size/shape faces and heads. If the glasses don't fit properly they may be uncomfortable to wear and less effective at blocking the sun.

Plus, you don't wanna look like a dork. Some shades just don't look right on certain people.

Spy Hourglass (polarized) for when I'm Bass or Musky fishing. When chasing cats after dark I opt for something with a little more UV protection.

shutter_shades_white_02.jpg

Probably the best/worst 4 dollars I've ever spent. Goofball factor of 11. cool

I have a pair of perscription sunglasses that are priceless to me. They are on a "sport" glasses type frame similar to top end brands mentioned above. The lenses were around $250 if I remember right. I would never be without perscription shades again.

H30's and Ocean Wave Backwater Green here, Both great glasses. I like the H30's for the 3 interchangable lenses, just got the Ocean Waves but verry impressed so far. I have a hard time finding frames to fit over my RX glasses.

I started a thread exactly like this a few months ago. I was planning on dropping the money on a new set, but decided against it. (I've bought 6-7 new rod/reel setups, though.)

I have been using the H3O Tsunamis for years. I just spent the extra $20 for new frames so that I don't have to swap out brown/smoke lens. (Yeah, kinda cheap frames...) I just grab the other set that already has the other lens in them.

I've compared my Tsunami's to Costa's and cannot notice a difference, so I am saving the money. The H3Os used to get rave reviews on the BFHP.