• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snap on Boat Covers

Coach1310

Ok.... I am considering a Snap on boat cover. I don't currently use a cover when trailering except for longer trips, but I like the idea of keeping everything tight and out of the elements. My questions....

Who has them and how do you like it? Dislike it?

Where did you get yours? Were you satisfied?

How much did it cost?

Any other suggestions, recommendations etc.

Thanks for any help. I'm still on the fence, but every year at a resort we stay out 2 guys from Iowa always roll in with them and I can't help but notice how good of shape and clean their boats are!!

I got mine with our Lund boat at the dealer last year. Was between $400-500 if I remember? The pro-track channel makes for an easy dealer installation. Also the top two ventilation holes are nice (where support poles attach)

I've heard good things about Canvas Craft in Rodgers. Cabeles guy told me they do their covers there. When I quoted for an Alumacraft, I seem to remember it being less not more than the Lund cover.

My Father in law has had a snap cover on his Crestliner for 10+ years and it's still looking great.

I have one for my Crestliner and love it. You don't have to worry about a rope flapping and scratching the paint. I do use mine when trailering, and like the fact it doesn't flap either. Last fall, when staying at a resort, it was nice to be able to tie up to the dock, and snap the cover on. In the morning my boat was totally dry, everyone else had to try and wipe things off before they could sit, etc. I can have mine snapped on in about 3 or 4 minutes is all.

I've had a snap on cover on two different boats one was custom made and the other is on my current boat a 08 Lund Explorer Sport. The snap on cover on my Explorer came as part of an incentive when I purchased the boat. I've had a couple of other boats with custom canvas covers with bungees. I'd go back to bungees and canvas in a minute.

While the snap on covers ultimately provide a better fit, it sometimes becomes a wrestling match to get the snaps on. Not to mention the thumb can get a good workout as well. Also, the snaps take some maintenance with cleaning and lubrication. Vinyl covers tend to get a bit tight when the weather is cold and again cause some tugging an pulling.

With the canvas covers and the bungees putting the cover on was a simple process of rolling it on and securing the bungees to the trailer and the boat was ready to tow. I used adjustable bungees which made a tight fit easy.

I've had a custom snap on cover on my last two boats, and love them both. Never had to maintain or clean mine, yet. I sometimes see guys struggle with their snaps, and even mine sometimes. For some reason, I rarely struggle getting them on or off. TIP - Get the four corners snapped. Then snap every other button, and mine snaps on smoothly, cold or hot.

I highly recommend taking a look at North Country Canvas in Robbinsdale. Small, husband and wife operation. Very custom, tight fit, air vents, highest quality fabric, and great service. I've had several guys, with custom snap covers, ask me where I got mine. It was also what clinched the deal selling my previous boat. Nice boat, but guy loved the tarp as much, I think. Good luck.

ps- My dad had a "custom" cover as part of a new boat "incentive" also. Pile of junk. Buttons fell out, seems let loose, and color faded before it was 2 years old. He got one from North Country 3 yrs ago. Much tighter fit and it's been flawless so-far.

When I purchased my Crestliner in '05 the travel cover came with the boat. I fish mainly close to home (within 25 miles) so I rarely, if ever, use it on those trips but when I'm trailering it anywhere over 50 miles or so I put it on. Mine actually has very few snaps on it as its made to "slide" on instead. I think some of the Lunds were made like this also. I really like that it's there when I want it and I can't even imagine storing the boat over winter without something protecting the boats interior. I store it in a farm shed that is very dusty. Never had a problem with it at all and I'm sure glad I have one. Mankato Tent and Awning also makes custom fitted boat covers.

how would they hold up with the boat being on a boat lift for the summer. i've priced a new cover for the lift but 1600 bucks is a little much right now ,and am hopeing a cover on the boat will work

Thanks for the replies everyone. One more question....when you get one made by one of these companies do they take care of installing the snaps on the boat as well? or would that be considered an extra cost?

Thanks again.

I just had one done last year by Wyoming Canvas located right next to Halberg Marine. I already had cover for my boat, a strap down and he was able to convert it for 125 bucks. Fits great and it is really nice when fishing somewhere for the weekend to be able to put your cover on tight while its in the water.

If in central MN may I suggest Leroy Thieschafer in Little Falls for a snap on boat cover. Leroy made my last boat cover and he used better components than the factory ones, and makes them specifically for your boat so you have to bring it to him. My younger kids could snap it on themselves and it held up to wind and traffic speeds on the interstate highways without coming unsnapped. He is on the south end of LF where hwy 10 meets with 123 rd. "Boat covers that @%*%$%# fit" is his motto! Does them right from my experience.

Killer topic as I have been considering having this done myself. Good to see pricing ideas too, in this economy the thought pf an extra 500.00 on my toy doesn't sit real well.

Any way my biggest question/concern is snap placement on the boat itself. I don't want the snaps in the way and would prefer them to be on the underside out of the way on my rail, I am assuming this is where everyone else has theirs. Is my assumption correct?

RU

Killer topic as I have been considering having this done myself. Good to see pricing ideas too, in this economy the thought pf an extra 500.00 on my toy doesn't sit real well.

Any way my biggest question/concern is snap placement on the boat itself. I don't want the snaps in the way and would prefer them to be on the underside out of the way on my rail, I am assuming this is where everyone else has theirs. Is my assumption correct?

RU

That is were mine are.

Canvas Craft in Ramsey does very nice work. I highly recomend them.

RU

Depends what type of boat you've got, I believe. If you have a rail that allows them to "wrap around" underneath, yup, they'll put them underneath. Newer Crestliners don't have that. My father's Fishhawk has them mounted on the side. Works well, and they don't get in the way (never caught line or anything like that), but aren't as hidden as my Alumacraft. Not sure about Lund, but believe they have a rail that they can be hidden under. Good luck.