• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

the streak has ended!

i fished this weekend. i tried the starbuck marina, checking open water and what not. found MANY good size white suckers in the creek near the marina. they tended to congregate on the second carp trap gate away from the main lake. a few were feeding. but i had no luck. then we tried the open waterby torgeys (or however u spell it) seen a guy pulling a jig back and forth through current under the bridge. so i went over to see what he was fishing for. turns out he was fishing for carp. turned out he is on this site to.

i gave him a few tips. and ideas where to fish. then left

then i tried westport lake. i hooked up with a few nice carp but lost them after a while due to getting tangled in cat tails, or wrapping around the gates over the caulvert.

the entire weekend the fish managed to beat me...

today i went out in the cold, windy, but sunny weather. of course with my luck i was extremely undergunned with the wind and cold. there were fish to be caught. ut they were extremely picky, and difficult to fish. the would spook with the tiniest splash. even with a 1/100oz jig, (hand tied scud jig that i usually use when fishing gets tough)

i was also up against giant schools of cruisers, if they even caught a glimpse of me, all the fish would disappear. and even if they didnt spook, they seemed to pick up the feeders and bring them with them.

this will give you an idea of what i was up against...

101_0168.jpg

101_0169.jpg

after a while the fish seemed to spread out a little bit. but they also moved onto private land which i do not have permission to fish. the distance added to the wind made everything that much more difficult.

after 2 hours of getting busted, and tricked by the fish, i finally hooked up with a good fish!

she turned out to be a THICK 15lb3oz beauty!

101_0170.jpg

afterward i left, finally content after breaking my bd luck streak.

hopefully fishing will pick up this week

First of all, another really nice post; I have appreciated your enthusiasm this spring - If I can't get out there's usually something well posted by you and others, and that ties me over vicariously until I can get out. Secondly, how do you work the scud jig for carp? I have a tough time with finicky carp, and usually lose patience.

First of all, another really nice post; I have appreciated your enthusiasm this spring - If I can't get out there's usually something well posted by you and others, and that ties me over vicariously until I can get out. Secondly, how do you work the scud jig for carp? I have a tough time with finicky carp, and usually lose patience.

i usually work by jiggling it in one place. you have to practice alot, because if the bait moves to far during the jiggling the fish often dont want to chase it so they move on. an easier jig to fish is a white 1/32oz or 1/64oz jig with a round white rubber tail, and a white chennile body. this immitates a mousie, and the rubber tail gives it great action just by touching the line.

a way to enhance the action on the tail is to heat it up and the tip then squeeze it. it will end up like a paddly and it will wiggle alot in even the slightest current. which often helps get the fish to hit without moving the lure