• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you think about the?????

Bandit

Some of the Can Am V-Twins had some trouble overheating. Not sure if the 800 was involved with it or not. I know the 500 V-Twin was. If you replace the coolant with products such as Water-Wetter, it will help.

If I'm not mistaken, owners of the machines were able to take them back to the dealer and have a revised radiator mounted, but in some cases it didn't help.

If you get the Renegade, the first add-on that I would recommend is a good set of skid plates. The SST frame likes to bend when people use it as a rock crusher.

What these guys have said is accurate. The frames need skid plates. I've also heard of the overheating, and if I remember correctly something about the drivers leg getting hot from the exhaust. They're a fun fast machine, but for that kind of money they should come with skid plates.

A buddy bought an 800 just before deer season. We enjoy winter riding in Wisconsin and he ran into a problem with snow getting packed into the spaces between the frame and skid plates. This snow would then melt from engine heat but turn to solid ice around the foot brake lever causing it to get stuck in the on position. That caused the rear brake to fry. He has to stay out of deep snow to prevent this problem. His only other complaint was that he had to keep it in 4WD on the trails(winter) because it has so much power he loses control in 2WD.

Its definitely a fun machine and I think the newer ones have all the kinks worked out. As far as frame issues, this is something of the past and you wont have to worry about any reinforcing unless you buy an older model. My only complaint is you will definitely get a lot more mud on yourself with this machine as compared to most utility machines due to the sporty low cut fenders. You will enjoy it.

You don't want a sportsman, believe me. I've seen more problems with sportsmans than any other machine made. If your into using a machine for farming and hauling stuff around a sportsman is a good choice but for beating on it and fast riding with it, its a bad choice. They are just too heavy and lack on power. They however have the new 850 XP that finally changes the outlook on previous models. Now it seems with the new 850 they are finally able to compete with the the other big bores.

Paul, I will agree to disagree with ya on this one. I think sportsmans are the best machines around. They do have excellent power and an all around solid machine. Nevere had an issue and I have owned a couple now and so has my friends, go with Polaris and you will not be sorry!

Dont let anyone tell you what machine to get. Some people are just too brand loyal! Just buy what YOU like and have fun with it.

I agree with Dozer. If you really want info on a specific machine go to a forum where they discuss that particular brand. Don't just go with one persons opinion. It's the old Chevy vs Ford thing with a bunch of unreliable or heresay information thrown in besides. Buy what you want and enjoy it. They're all good.

Any machine can have their own share of issues and that topic has been beat to death. No matter what forums a person visits, there will be brand bashing.

The main thing is to research a machine, which the OP has done by coming here as I'm sure he's gone to other sites as well. There is simply nothing wrong with bringing up known issues of particular brands or models.

Would I buy a Renegade if I was in the market for an ATV and willing to spend the money, you're darn right I would. The issues that I've mentioned have work arounds to help eliminate the issue and as another poster stated, they may have already addressed the issue so it's of no concern. I've had a Can Am (Bombardier) before and wished I still did.

The bottom line is the best machine out there for any particular rider isn't a Can Am, Polaris, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda or Arctic Cat. It's the machine that suits your purpose the best and the machine that you want.

here is a quote from a factory backed can-am racer that races in the GNCC that I saw on another site

"All of the Outlanders and Renegades on the Can Am team have gussetted frames. We go a bit further to beef up the shock towers & steering stems too. We all use stock tti arms and a arms too. The engine & clutching is bullet proof. We reroute the air intakes on the belts with snorkle kits, add an additional aluminum plate & extend the bungs under the radiator for addtional support from hard landings. The battery boxes are gusseted too. It's all misc stuff -nothing fancy or one-off that anyone with some metal, grinder and welder cannot do. We also run stock driveshafts which you need to learn to stay off the gas when you land a jump to it will either bend or snap"

yeah i but I race against alot of privateers on the can-ams and they all end up with bent and broken frames

my polaris has rolled end over end about 6 times and landed on its wheels. slightly bent steering steam and that was it. it started right up and never missed a beat.

all my other buddies that race prairies, brute forces, hondas, grizzly's etc have all beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of their machines and wrecked just as hard and never have the damage that the can-ams get.

im not saying all are bulletproof exspecially in the condistions we race in, but ive seen first hand the can-ams dont take the hard abuse as well as the others. for the amount of $$$ people pay for those, I would expect more. again just my opinion just trying to throw some observations out there.

rundrave wrote: im not saying all are bulletproof exspecially in the condistions we race in, but ive seen first hand the can-ams dont take the hard abuse as well as the others. for the amount of $$$ people pay for those, I would expect more. again just my opinion just trying to throw some observations out there.

Exactly! You pay big bucks for the Can Am's and the first thing you should do is dump a few more hundred into skid plates so the frame will hold? Even after Can Am knows this they change nothing? Kind of a joke if you ask me!

I see what you are saying and I agree. I have never ownded a can am but rode a renegade before and it definately put a grin on my face. Would I love to have a renegade, Yes. Would I pay 10k for one, No. But if you want a machine that is 4wd and handles like a sport quad you dont have much of a choice. I am fully aware of the frame issues that the can ams have had and I would think that this problem has been resolved, if not I would have to do some more research before I bought one. Can you ride a polaris like a renegade, No. Are there other machines that compare in power, Yes (a few). So the bottome line is you need to make the decision of how you are going to use the machine.