• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water Bass

hhguide

I was lucky enough to hit some open water this past weekend for some Largemouth Bass. While it was just great to be out on the water with friends, we also wanted to get down into business and hook into some great fish. The weather was a little off this past weekend. It was in the mid to upper 40’s but the wind was howling out of south. We got out on the water Saturday morning not knowing what to expect. We were fortunate enough to have a few new lures that we wanted to try out before the season would even start in Minnesota. As I am always a little skeptical but excited to try a few new lures. I am the type of person that will always try to find fish in ways that no one else will be fishing. The new baits that we wanted to try out were from two different companies. The first being Angling Innovations, which is also the same company as Musky Innovations and the second being Musky Mayhem Tackle.

While some of you know Musky Innovations for their Bulldawgs, and Jimmy’s, they also have a product line out there for the bass fisherman, which I thought I and others could have some good success with. I had multiple baits from Angling Innovations. I had the micro, which is 4 inches in length, the Nano which comes in either 2 or 2.5 inches (I had the 2 inch) and the Heli which is 2.5”. All of these lures I think are going to be huge for me this year for every species after this weekend.

The second being Musky Mayhem Tackle which is well-known for its Double Cowgirls and Showgirls, also has a lure that I think is going to take the Bass world by storm, its called the “Baby Girl”. Its 7 inches long and weighs ¾ ounces. It can be used to burn or slow roll, when you want to get into deep water. I was very eager to try out both baits because I can use them in any situation and we didn’t know where the fish were going to be.

As we got onto the lake, we need it was going to be a tough day of fishing as the water temperature dropped anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees. Despite the fog and tough conditions we still got into some nice fish. We seemed to find the warmer water spots and those were the places, where the fish were most active and biting. With the stained water we knew we would need to have some sort of flash, bright colors, or vibration. I started out casting the new angling Innovations bait. After a few short casts with the Nano dawg I hooked up with a nice fat fish. My friend also tied on a micro and started casting, a few casts later he hooked up with another nice fish, only moments after I had hooked up. From then on that’s all I through for most the rest of the day. We also did run into a few nice crappies, which we caught on the Nano-dawgs.

Bismark2009whitemicrodawg.jpg

Bismark2009nanodawg3.jpg Both fish had the baits down their throat.

As we continued to fish throughout the day we tied on a few Baby Girls from Musky Mayhem. While the bait might have been a bit to big in the cold water conditions, we did manage to catch a few fish on the Baby Girl. I think these baits are going to be huge during the summer months when people are throwing spinner baits, the Baby Girl has a bigger profile, and I think is going to attract much bigger fish.

Bismark2009babygirl3.jpg

We ended up loosing count of how many fish we caught, so it was a good day on the water. Overall it was great to just get back out on the water, cast a few new baits and goof around. I know both of these baits are going to be in my box this summer. I already put in a second order, for now its back to looking down a hole for late season Sunnies and Crappies.

Bismark2009crappienanodawg.jpg This one was in the boat.

Crappiewithnano.jpg

We also caught a few nice crappies on these baits while we were goofing around by the access, I took the picture with my phone because I didn’t have the camera close by.

Drake, I picked up a couple Nano-Dawgs late last fall. I am planning to use them quite a bit this summer for bass. The big ones look so good in the water, I know they will drive bass crazy. Soon enough, the rest of the bass guys will know the Muskie Innovations name. I will be picking up three of the Baby Girls as well. I am going to the Thorne spring sale to get a custom color tied up. Should be pretty when it is done.

You didn't mention where you were fishing, was it in MN? Only reason I ask is I thought it was illegal to intentionally fish for a species out of season. Anyways, just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Looks like you had a blast though. I'll definitely have to look into those smaller bulldawgs. Can't believe the last crappie took a bait that big.

What is the name of that power plant lake that stays open year round up in NoDak? From the pictures, it looks like that lake. Fog early in the morning just about every day from October to April on that lake just because the water temp is so much warmer than the air temps.

Little bit shorter drive from Alex than the cities.

Yea guys like others said, it was in North Dakota on Nelson Lake. It was really foggy when we were in there the first day. Yeah I wish I was in Minnesota fishing, but its only about a 4 and a half hour drive for us so its not to bad, its fun to get up there and goof around.