• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Growing Peas. Any Tips?

toughguy

I have never grown peas and want to this year. I know you are supposed to give them something to clime on. What do you guys use? Also, any other tips for peas would be great. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for any help in advance.

I've grown peas on a trellis for a long time.Go to a box store....Menards,Home Depot etc and get some page wire fencing.Cut it into 4-5 foot sections.I usually have 4-5 sections.Buy electric fence posts with the flanges on one end and weave one into each end of each section,from the bottom up,until they are firmly standing.Get a hammer and pound down into the ground in a line.

Now take your pea seed and scatter them about 6 inches wide on both sides of the fence.Use a hoe and pull the soil over them and tamp it down.

I usually plant an early variety like Alaska on one side and a later one like Wando on the other side.That spreads out harvest.

Since peas aren't hybrids you can save the seed for next year.Just let some of them dry on the vines.Usually in July I pick off the ones for next years seeds,pull out the plants,and then plant another batch again and you will have peas again in late Sept. early Oct.

It takes a lot of seed to plant that much twice and don't be afraid to use to much seed.They will climb up the trellis on their own.