• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tiller or council?

hamms-scooter

what do you guys prefer tiller or council style steering? I have tiller style and like the open layout of the boat my dad has a council setup and it just seems cluttered in a 16 ft boat to have it. what you guys like? also was wondering if anyone has some pics they would share of there boats they have redone. casting decks/storage/livewell setups? looking for ideas. have a 1970 starcraft i am redoing . thanks

When I bought my first "brand new" boat it was a console (single). I wanted it to work for water skiing/tubing as well as for fishing, and I figured a console was more versatile that way. (Debateable, but that was my choice) Last summer I bought dual console and really like that, as do my wife and daughter.

For just fishin though a tiller is nice for the reasons you said.

If you are going strictly with a fishing rig on small to medium water I would go with a tiller, if it is big water I would lean more to dual console with a full top. I have never really understood a single console, it takes up much needed space and you don't get the benifits of a full top?

more room / passengers, easier boat control for most = tiller, more versital for family fun, maybe a little faster , less room for passengers and gear, harder to fish out of for most, = Console,

My first boat was a Lund 17ft Mr. Pike 50hp Merc single console

My second boat was a Lund Pro V 1750 60hp Johnson Tiller

My third boat was a Crestliner Sportfish 1780 125hp Dual console

My fourth boat was a Warrior 193 Eagle 200hp Merc Dual console

My current boat is a Sportfish 27ft 454hp Dual console

Do you see a pattern here? There never big enough!

Go big save money!

yeah i have a 12 ft lund with a ten hoarse tiller on it and i love the control that that has but i cant take it out in windy conditions. having a consil on that would not be good. i also have a 620 vs rAnger with a duel consil anf full windshield it has a 225 hp johnson on it and i love it!!! it has good control and alot of room. im geuss it just depends on the size of the boat.

And again... I'm not with the normal crowd. I have a relatively small boat (Lund 1425... only 14'9") with a console. One might think that the boat is too small for a console and it takes up too much room. This is actually my first console-equipped boat. Personally, I was a bit skeptical getting a console and wondered if I was doing the right thing. Now I'm glad I have that console. It makes the driving expierience that much nicer. One might question the lack of room? Well, I usually fish by myself and sometimes, with one other person. I never have a space-problem, and I always have at least 3 tackle boxes in the boat with me, including two Lakewood musky tackle boxes.

That's just it... had the 1425 up on Cass last year in 3' plus waves. It truly does handle like I bigger boat for it's rather diminutive size. By the way, I should have some pictures posted later this week under the "Let's see your rig" thread...

Do any of you guys pull the kids on a tube or skis with a tiller boat? I'm thinking about tin boats in the 16-18' and 50-100 HP range.

I ask because 85% of the time it's just 2 of us fishing, maybe 5% of the time it's 3 or 4 fishing, and 10% of the time it's pulling a tube. I'd really like a tiller for the fishing stuff but can I pull the tubes with it when I need to?

One of our neighbors on East Battle used to pull his girls on skis with an 18 HP Johny (if I remember correctly) so I know that can be done. I'm just wondering about how hard the bigger tiller motors are to control. I would think a 175 OptiMax with power steering would be easy but what about a 100 HP w/o the PS?

Thanks

I have had a tiller, single console, and dual console. They all have there place, but if you have a bigger boat I would go with the dual console. My last boat was a single and I thought is was great, but after being a passenger in a single on big water I got a dual and love it. You can ski out of any of them depending on your motor size.