• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motors

Craigums

I think I'm going to upgrade the trolling motor this year. Ive got a 14' aluminum and don't know how I would be able to mount in on the bow so I was looking at the transom mount motors and they have everything from 30, 40, 55+ lb thrust ratings. Im assuming the 30 would be just fine. Would that work well to mount it off to the side of my outboard? But if anyone has general information on trolling motors lets here it. Not really a topic I remember reading about on this site.

PS: I'll see if I can dig up some photos of the boat as a better visual aid.

Sounds like any transom mount will work. If 30# "will work" go with a 40 or 55. You can always turn a 40 down to a 30, but you will never be able to go more than 30 if thats all you have. And trust me, you will want to at times. If you are lookin Minn Kota, I would step up to the Traxxis as well, will save a lot on battery useage. You might be able to find some Maxxum's on closeout from last year.

Well thats part of my question. Im not sure what thrust would work. The motor I got on there now was my grandpas its got a on/off switch and a bungie cord holding the cover on lol. Not really sure it has a thrust rating for me to compare it too. I'll google the traxxis and check it out. I think I was looking at the "Endura"

My dad has always used a transom mount trolling motor on his 14' aluminum. His is an older 36 pound Endura. I wouldn't want anything less than that, but I am sure a 55 lb would be too much. A forty would be about perfect, IMO

If you want to stay with a bow mount. I boxed in the nose from the brace, back a little ways( My old S16 had a half step in the front.) down to the step for a storage compartment. Mount the trolling motor on top, and store the batt. for it in the box.

I have a 16' Lund Laker that I have built a platform for a bow mount to be mounted on. Get a 2x2 (treated), a piece of 3/4 plywood (treated), some bolts, washers, and lock nuts, and finally some wood screws. First cut the 2x2's to the desired length of the platform. Drill holes through the hull(it's ok, the water rarely will get this high if ever) and 2x2 so it will sit 3/4 inch below the gunwale. Attacch with the bolts, washers and lock nuts. Put the sheet of plywood on the bow of the boat and trace the curve of the boat. Flip the plywood over and cut out the curve to desired length. Attach the plywood with the wood screws, and you are now ready to mount a bow mount. If you are using a twelve volt model teh little half step/ seat in the very bow makes a good spot for the battery. I built a casting deck much in the same way, except I did not attach it to the hull. It made for a great storage area and made the boat far easier to fish out of.

As far as motor recommendations, get the biggest you can afford. You can't go too big in my opinion. I have a 36 volt 109 lb thrust Motorguide on my 17' Procraft. It really zips along and can handle the wind with out a problem.

Actually if you don't want to make a platform, I believe Minnkota used to make a mounting bracket that clamps on to the front and you simply hook up your transom trolling motor to the front. Works pretty slick. Also, not to discourage you, but in my opinion mounting the motor on the front is much better (for bass fishing) than using a transom mounted motor.

I used to fish out of a 14 foot fishing boat with gunnels all the way around, no bow plate for mounting a motor.

I had a Minn Kota transom mount motor for that boat. At times I mounted it on the transom, at times I mounted it on the front of the boat.

For mounting it up by the bow, I had a couple pieces of 1x6 and had them strapped together with a few inches of nylon strap, so the boards were maybe 3 inches apart. I hung them over the gunnel so the nylon straps were over the gunnel, positioning the 2 pieces of wood so 1 was inside the boat and the other was outside the boat. Then I clamped the motor to the 2 pieces of wood, which let me get it tight and didn't scratch the boat. And when I moved the motor to the transom it was easy to stow the 2 pieces of wood in the boat until the next time I needed them.

I turned the head of the motor around on the shaft when using it in the front of the boat - there's a screw under the head at the top of the shaft that lets you do this. Much better performance and boat control when mounted to the front, with the head turned around like that.

I think 30 lbs would work for your boat but 40 would be better. As stated earlier, you really can't have too much.

Also, I would strongly recommend getting a motor with the Digital Maximizer or infinite speed control. This allows you to set the speed whereever you want, and is more battery efficient, opposed to a motor that has only 5 forward speeds.

You can check out the transom mount motors at Fishing Minnesota sponsor Pro Fishing Supply. Also, there's a rebate on the Traxxis model right now, the rebate details are HERE.

Good input guys, One reason I was thinking transom mount is because everytime I got to a new spot I would have to hop over the bench seating and past a buddy to get to the front of the boat so I could control the trolling motor. seems like a hasle, Its just a little aluminum boat, not a bass cat smile

If you know of an welder around that works with Aluminum, have them make a box unit that will attach to the bow and install a bow mount.

If you go with a transom mount, go with the higher thrust. You can always turn it down but cannot always turn a low thrust up! Get my drift?

As promised here are some pictures of my boat with the trolling motor I have now. As it looks the trolling motor I currently have says 55lb on it, but it sure doesnt feel all that strong, maybe the battery just needs to be replaced. Also you can see the way the bench seating is arranged I think it would be very difficult to have any type of bow mount trolling motor. I know its no ranger but it floats and alot of bass have taken a ride in it.

2007_0602Image0117.jpg

2007_0602Image0118.jpg

2007_0602Image0119.jpg

When in doubt, buy the most powerfull motor you can afford.

As was stated earlier, you can always turn down the power, but when you are fighting wind and current, and you are having a hard time holding, you may not be able to turn it up.

That's pretty much what my boat looked like, although I removed the middle bench seat in mine. One nice thing about the mount I used when I moved my motor to the front of the boat is that you can put it wherever you want, ie. it does NOT need to be right at the tip of the bow. I usually had mine about where your front seat with the battery charger is, because that was the easiest, most comfortable place for me to reach while I was fishing.

About moving around in the boat, if it was me I'd have your buddy sit in back and run the outboard, and I'd sit in front and run the trolling motor .........

We have a 25lb on a similar sized boat that works alright in a little wind (though that's without the weight of an outboard as only one or the other is on). If you were getting a true 55lb out of that you'd be able to really move along in any condition you would consider using that boat in. I'd just keep it to a 12V motor as space can be an issue in those things so it'd be nice to stay with one battery.