Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craigums

Trolling Motors

19 posts in this topic

I think I'm going to upgrade the trolling motor this year. Ive got a 14' aluminum and don't know how I would be able to mount in on the bow so I was looking at the transom mount motors and they have everything from 30, 40, 55+ lb thrust ratings. Im assuming the 30 would be just fine. Would that work well to mount it off to the side of my outboard? But if anyone has general information on trolling motors lets here it. Not really a topic I remember reading about on this site.

PS: I'll see if I can dig up some photos of the boat as a better visual aid.

Sounds like any transom mount will work. If 30# "will work" go with a 40 or 55. You can always turn a 40 down to a 30, but you will never be able to go more than 30 if thats all you have. And trust me, you will want to at times. If you are lookin Minn Kota, I would step up to the Traxxis as well, will save a lot on battery useage. You might be able to find some Maxxum's on closeout from last year.

Well thats part of my question. Im not sure what thrust would work. The motor I got on there now was my grandpas its got a on/off switch and a bungie cord holding the cover on lol. Not really sure it has a thrust rating for me to compare it too. I'll google the traxxis and check it out. I think I was looking at the "Endura"

If it's that old, odds are it has about 60% thrust then it once had. The smallest Traxxis is 40#.

The thing doesn't even have a brand name on it. and the "ON/OFF" is written in permanent marker. I will try to get a picture of it up here just for giggles

My dad has always used a transom mount trolling motor on his 14' aluminum. His is an older 36 pound Endura. I wouldn't want anything less than that, but I am sure a 55 lb would be too much. A forty would be about perfect, IMO

If you want to stay with a bow mount. I boxed in the nose from the brace, back a little ways( My old S16 had a half step in the front.) down to the step for a storage compartment. Mount the trolling motor on top, and store the batt. for it in the box.

I have a 16' Lund Laker that I have built a platform for a bow mount to be mounted on. Get a 2x2 (treated), a piece of 3/4 plywood (treated), some bolts, washers, and lock nuts, and finally some wood screws. First cut the 2x2's to the desired length of the platform. Drill holes through the hull(it's ok, the water rarely will get this high if ever) and 2x2 so it will sit 3/4 inch below the gunwale. Attacch with the bolts, washers and lock nuts. Put the sheet of plywood on the bow of the boat and trace the curve of the boat. Flip the plywood over and cut out the curve to desired length. Attach the plywood with the wood screws, and you are now ready to mount a bow mount. If you are using a twelve volt model teh little half step/ seat in the very bow makes a good spot for the battery. I built a casting deck much in the same way, except I did not attach it to the hull. It made for a great storage area and made the boat far easier to fish out of.

As far as motor recommendations, get the biggest you can afford. You can't go too big in my opinion. I have a 36 volt 109 lb thrust Motorguide on my 17' Procraft. It really zips along and can handle the wind with out a problem.

Actually if you don't want to make a platform, I believe Minnkota used to make a mounting bracket that clamps on to the front and you simply hook up your transom trolling motor to the front. Works pretty slick. Also, not to discourage you, but in my opinion mounting the motor on the front is much better (for bass fishing) than using a transom mounted motor.

I'm with KT on this. I would have no clue how to do it, but if you can, I would do my darndest to try and mount it up front. If you can get some kind of hands free unit it will help your fishing quite a bit. But again, thats just my opinion.

Call the motor clinic for suggestions/mounting kits. Also, look around fm site for sales. There were a few transom mount MK for sale.

I used to fish out of a 14 foot fishing boat with gunnels all the way around, no bow plate for mounting a motor.

I had a Minn Kota transom mount motor for that boat. At times I mounted it on the transom, at times I mounted it on the front of the boat.

For mounting it up by the bow, I had a couple pieces of 1x6 and had them strapped together with a few inches of nylon strap, so the boards were maybe 3 inches apart. I hung them over the gunnel so the nylon straps were over the gunnel, positioning the 2 pieces of wood so 1 was inside the boat and the other was outside the boat. Then I clamped the motor to the 2 pieces of wood, which let me get it tight and didn't scratch the boat. And when I moved the motor to the transom it was easy to stow the 2 pieces of wood in the boat until the next time I needed them.

I turned the head of the motor around on the shaft when using it in the front of the boat - there's a screw under the head at the top of the shaft that lets you do this. Much better performance and boat control when mounted to the front, with the head turned around like that.

I think 30 lbs would work for your boat but 40 would be better. As stated earlier, you really can't have too much.

Also, I would strongly recommend getting a motor with the Digital Maximizer or infinite speed control. This allows you to set the speed whereever you want, and is more battery efficient, opposed to a motor that has only 5 forward speeds.

You can check out the transom mount motors at Fishing Minnesota sponsor Pro Fishing Supply. Also, there's a rebate on the Traxxis model right now, the rebate details are HERE.

Good input guys, One reason I was thinking transom mount is because everytime I got to a new spot I would have to hop over the bench seating and past a buddy to get to the front of the boat so I could control the trolling motor. seems like a hasle, Its just a little aluminum boat, not a bass cat smile

If you know of an welder around that works with Aluminum, have them make a box unit that will attach to the bow and install a bow mount.

If you go with a transom mount, go with the higher thrust. You can always turn it down but cannot always turn a low thrust up! Get my drift?

As promised here are some pictures of my boat with the trolling motor I have now. As it looks the trolling motor I currently have says 55lb on it, but it sure doesnt feel all that strong, maybe the battery just needs to be replaced. Also you can see the way the bench seating is arranged I think it would be very difficult to have any type of bow mount trolling motor. I know its no ranger but it floats and alot of bass have taken a ride in it.

2007_0602Image0117.jpg

2007_0602Image0118.jpg

2007_0602Image0119.jpg

PS. I don't think the Humminbird works, I was cruising around a large flat and the depths kept changing drastically, but thats another story

When in doubt, buy the most powerfull motor you can afford.

As was stated earlier, you can always turn down the power, but when you are fighting wind and current, and you are having a hard time holding, you may not be able to turn it up.

That's pretty much what my boat looked like, although I removed the middle bench seat in mine. One nice thing about the mount I used when I moved my motor to the front of the boat is that you can put it wherever you want, ie. it does NOT need to be right at the tip of the bow. I usually had mine about where your front seat with the battery charger is, because that was the easiest, most comfortable place for me to reach while I was fishing.

About moving around in the boat, if it was me I'd have your buddy sit in back and run the outboard, and I'd sit in front and run the trolling motor .........

We have a 25lb on a similar sized boat that works alright in a little wind (though that's without the weight of an outboard as only one or the other is on). If you were getting a true 55lb out of that you'd be able to really move along in any condition you would consider using that boat in. I'd just keep it to a 12V motor as space can be an issue in those things so it'd be nice to stay with one battery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I have fished for trout in my home waters for fifty-five years. The places I call home are the waters of the Wisconsin driftless area. Trout are my favorite species to chase. The trout of my waters have fluctuated over my more than a half century of fishing. Trout are instinctual creatures.  The big wily brown trout are my quarry.  They are portrayed as superior entities when in fact they have a brain the size of a pea. Do you want the keys to the castle?   I have seen many trends and fads come and go in the trout world.  This fancy rod and that special fly have cycled through a dozen times in my lifetime. Anglers come and go and so do the latest new fangled trends.  The constants in the trout world are the seasons and good old Mother Nature.  If you want a real leg up on those trout you should pay attention to the seasons and the changes they cause in the trout’s environment.     The weather in Wisconsin can be a harsh mistress.  The extremes are the norm here.  We could have twenty inches of snow on the ground and below zero temperatures and what seems like a blink of the eye in Wisconsin it changes.  The snow could melt and the next time you go fishing it could be radically different.  You need to roll with the seasonal changes and modify the way you fish and where you fish.

This frigid morning in January was shaping up to be a “skunk” outing.  My friend was cold and told me he had enough and wanted to head back to the vehicle.  I talked him out of heading back.  We had taken the stream temperatures earlier and we hadn’t found a one reading over thirty-six degrees.

The outdoor temperature was twenty-six degrees and not looking like it was going to warm up.  I had scouted this area prior and our fishing was going to get better I told him.
        Do you see the log laying on the right side of the stream?  Just on the other side of the log is a tiny trickle feeding in.  This trickle is a tiny spring.  Springs run year round here at about forty-two degrees constant.  Where that spring fed in caused a six degree temperature swing just downstream.  That little trickle made the stream bearable for the trout.    I have found many trickles during the early season when the grass is down that I cannot see even a month later due to weed growth.  It was like the Bahamas in that halo of the spring.  We caught seven trout in that tiny spot. Many feeders are not easily found during the summer.  They are covered up by weeds.  You can only discover them when the weeds are down in winter or early spring. I emphasize the word trickle here because they may be tiny and you will miss them if you are not looking for them.   My friend Andy and I fished this exact hole in September.  We both caught four trout each in this bend in September.  We couldn’t buy a bite in March.  What was different now?  First off the water temperatures were in the sixties in September and in the middle thirties in March. Trout lay in different areas during cold and warm conditions.     In Wisconsin winters the trout are in survival mode.  They need to find good lays where they don’t have to expend too much energy to hold in place and wait for food. The calories required to hold in place in this cold fast water is a negative formula for calories gained. This shallow fast current hole is great when the water temperatures are in the sixties and the trout can hide in the broken fast water.  In thirty degree water this holding place has no one home.  I would look for the deepest water either direction for two hundred yards.  This is where the trout would winter.
      One picture says a thousand words.  It was twenty degrees below out this day. The water temperature at this spring head tells the tale. It measured at forty degrees.  I like to call these Bahamas causing the water temperatures to fluctuate. A thermometer is a must to get a leg up on these instinctual creatures. This spring is a glaring thermal. 

Many anglers discount some thermals because they are not so obvious.  A swamp is nothing more than a spring spreading out and they have the same properties as a small stream emptying into a larger waterway.  There does not need to be an obvious entry point to these swamps causing thermals.  They can leech through the surrounding banks and make their way into your stream.
        I am going to stay on thermals but switch seasons.  The temperature fluctuations you found to indicate where to find the wily trout in winter holds true in the dog days of summer.  I went with a Natural Resources crew to do a shocking.     The stretch we were to shock was a non-designated area way below typical trout water.  Even on a typical summer’s day in Wisconsin this waterway was almost too warm to fish in it.  Many anglers considered this “frog water” and dismissed it.  What a giant mistake they were making. 

When water temperatures are near seventy degrees, it is recommended not to fish for trout.  It plain and simply puts too much stress on the fish and raises the mortality rates to an unacceptable risk for the trout.  Streams that are warmer have less dissolved oxygen in them.  Trout caught in water near seventy degrees have a hard time recovering from a battle due to the lack of oxygen.     I was in charge of the thermometer and Garmin on this trek into frog water with the fisheries folks.  Every thirty yards I was asked to take the temperature and write it down with the GPS coordinates. I was asked to submerge the thermometer at least halfway to the bottom to take the readings. I needed to hold the thermometer in place for ten seconds. I also was advised to make sure there was no secondary warming from my hands holding it.  The lead worker said the trout actually live in the lower half of water columns. The water temperatures hovered around seventy degrees at first.  We did not shock up trout in these areas.   We started to shock up some trout.  They were smaller fish.  I took the temperature and there was a slight change.  I looked around for a spring or a feeder creek.  There were none to be found. The fisheries staff told me to take more frequent measurements and log them. They were trying to prove a theory they had. I measured every ten yards on this stretch.  The temperatures continued to go down. The water temperatures were in the low sixties now and we were shocking numerous trout to the surface.  It was quite amazing how the numbers and sizes of the trout increased as the water got colder on this stretch.   We shocked up some true monsters from this waterway and then they just vanished.  The alpha or large predator trout had the lays in the coolest hides.  I could not see anything feeding in.  It was a true mystery to me.  There was a swamp about thirty yards from the stream.  It had no obvious entry points.  I followed my thermometer to its access point.  The swamp leeched into the stream and the only tell tale evidence was found with my thermometer.  

The only visual evidence was softer banks that extended a couple of feet toward the swamps near the coldest points and these were my thermals.  I would not have discovered them without my thermometer. You can guess where the biggest brown were shock up correct?  Their noses were stuck right in the area where the trickles fed in.   I fish with many folks and they must grow weary of waiting for me to quit messing with my thermometer. Some stretches I fish regularly I leave my thermometer in my vest because of my historical data. My friend Dan Braun and I took a break during the midday of fishing due to water temperatures being too high and dangerous for the trout.  The outside temperature this day was eighty-eight degrees.  Dan took a temperature check at this spring head and it measured forty degrees. It is amazing to see a light bulb go on when another angler finally figures out why I am fiddling with my thermometer.
        The next time you fire up your computer check out the thermometers for sale.  There are many new and trendy versions.  There are many kinds.  I believe a keep it simple purchase is in order.  A bungee cord to hook them to your vest is a must purchase. A durable thermometer with easy to read numbers is what I carry. 

I have been drawn to marginal frog water for over half a century now in Wisconsin’s driftless area.  My photos of big browns don’t lie.

• Moose is staying home with no ice
    • Those "extended warranties" are mainly a cheap scam. The small print will ruin your day. And buying one AFTER  you have have the vehicle for a while compounds the mess.  Don't do it.
    • Til the end of my days, I will never understand why the northern states don't just stay open til January. What's it gonna hurt?
    • How much was spent on the one worthless count? Priceless Liber crybaby B as in S!
    • At least post a couple pics...   Those trees that move - get removed!  No body work but brakes and oil are needed.  The burning rubber smell finally went away today. 
    • Does the truck smoke when you start it or does it smoke when you step on it hard?  
    • I have one of these fans that came with my one I bought, I am taking it out as i don't want power, my shack is really only a day shack and stays at my cottage.  My fan is mounted on a the bottom of my empire 15k.
  • Our Sponsors