• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring crappies from shore

south_metro_fish

I went out yesterday to hit the open water for the first time this year not expecting much. Well we were surprised and rewarded for bearing the cold wind yesterday with about 25 crappies C&R. There were others fishing in the same spot and they were catching them too. It was in a small bay that I don't really know the actual depth but we were casting with our bait about 2 feet under out float. We had no idea what to even use for bait this time of year but after watching and talking to some of the others we figured out that they were hitting on plastics. We had been trying crawlers and minnows with not much luck. They seemed to be hitting little colored strait chunks of plastic like a worm kind of and they were hitting tube jigs really well. What are some other plastics we might want to try? I am almost sold enough on the gulp alive to go out and buy a tub but what would work in this kind of situation?

Also the wind made it a bugger to get your float out far enough. What are some good bobbers or tricks to use for casting with light jigs in wind or for distance? I ended up putting 2 larger split shots right by my larger float to get a little extra weight.

I bought a tub of the minnows and I'm happy with the purchase. They are easy to adjust to whatever presentation you want. Cutting them to length is easy and they seem to work very well. You can also try the worm kind of Gulp Alive!. It's pretty cheap at $6 for a little jar of them.

Were you by any chance on a small bay between two lakes of similar names? If you were where I think you were, I'll be out there on Friday...with the boat for the first time this year grin

My friend had a small long weighted bobber and he was still having problems. I worry that when fishing that close to your bobber that if you have to large of a bobber that it will scare the fish. Is there any type that has a good happy medium for this application.

thill has a nice weighted slip bobber or like mentioned use the round styrofoam bobbers with a weight on them...

other plastics to try are the power nymph by berkley, powerbait tubes or atomic tubes by berkley, ratsos by custom jigs and spins are good also gulp waxies are a good choice, puddle jumpers or try some feather jigs......with the gulp alive minnow bucket these are my main baits for the spring crapppie bite.

I was looking yesterday at gander before we went out and I noticed the gulp alive maggots. Are they the same pretty much they looked more powerbait like material then plastic and there was not as much liquid in the container the container was smaller too, would assume because the maggots are smaller.

The GA maggots are a different material then the PB ones. They also are sold in containers filled with the GA liquid which is supposed to give them more scent, or so the marketing people say. I haven't seen a real difference between the ones in liquid and the ones not in liquid, but that's just me. The only thing nice about the liquid is that if you have a bag of Gulp which has been open for a while, you can toss them into the bucket of liquid and in a little bit they are good to go.

I like the plastic bobbers that you thread the line through & twist on. You can adjust them for buoyancy & weight by filling them partially with water. These work great for springtime shore fishing. Most fishing stores carry them.

I went out for an hour sunday night and didn't get a bite......the Gulp Alive minnows that I like to use for crappies and I think would work on walleyes are the 2.5" Black Shad

I sure hope this cold wind goes some place else it wasn't very nice yesterday. I need to figure out the spring attire so I can concentrate more on fishing then how cold my hands are. But anyways they were still biting in yesterday afternoons sunshine but I still haven't mastered getting them interested in my presentation. What are some tips for working plastics under a float? I have never really fished in a situation like this using plastics under a float.

try slowly cranking a tube without the bobber. you need thin line to cast a 1/32 though. one more week and they will really be biting down there. hopefully everyone doesn't take home bucketfulls like last year.

There are casting bobber that you can fill with water for that kind of casting. They use a rubber tube that you run your line through. You twist the tube to hold your line. I have none in the package so I can't remember there name.

My favorite lure this time of year is the Black Ghost. It is a streamer and you can use up to 3 of them at one time for Crappies, sunfish, Rock Bass and Trout. With a fly rod or with a casting bobber and a spinning rig. A red and white bobber (strike indicator) will work for this to. Just add a very small split shot to the last streamer so they don't all pile up on the bobber at the end of the cast.

In my experience this time of year with plastics/artificials is to keep the bait moving. Areas we fish this time of year are LOADED with fish. By keeping the bait moving it doesn't allow the fish to visually pick the bait apart and it also helps to disperse some scent and seeks out the more aggressive fish and better areas--- in my opinion.

You have to keep trying different actions with the baits.( this will depend on the kind of plastic you are using also!)Some times aggresive works , but other times we have had to go to a tube under a float with only a straight shank hook.( no weight!) It would VERY slowly sink, and the crappies would slurp it in. I've been having my best luck with just barely twitching the float so the plastic just slightly dances in their face. For this i'v e been using tubes, power minnows, and the plastic for a shrimpo in the larger size.

I'll second the Rocket Bobbers. They not only work great for adding distance to your cast, but also help on those windy days. If you set it up just right the bobber lays flat on it's side in the water and the tip slowly lifts as you get a bite. This feature is nice, but not necessary. They can also be rigged as a slip bobber.

Do you ever just use a float for weight to get it out and just reel it in slow. I was wondering if the movement on the top would spook them.

This is my primary presentation in the spring. Was out yesterday and was getting a fish on nearly every cast just casting and slow reeling no weight other then the 1/32oz jig head and a weighted bobber.

sometimes the bobber will spook the fish when you are in 3ft and under but I usually twitch the bobber and then after it settles pull it back gently about a foot or so and then let the bait fall again. This triggers bites often.