Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shooter_mcgavin

Kayak Paddle Suggestions?

3 posts in this topic

We just picked up two Old Town Dirigo 106's, and are now wondering what kind of paddles to buy. (right now the kayaks are in the living room and serving as TV chairs, needless to say we are pretty pumped to try them out). We will be paddling in pretty tame water for the most part, and I found some cheap paddles online for $20 each. They are called Airhead Performance Kayak Paddle, 7-feet long and aluminum. Am I going to regret buying cheap paddles? How important is carbon fiber anyway? The shipping weight on these is 2.8 pounds each. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

don't skimp on the paddle. go to a store and ask someone. If you don't mind sore shoulders and wrists, by all means get the $20 clunkers, they have their time and place. But I would suggest something a little nicer! Hope you enjoy the kayaks, they are a blast

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have a paddle question....being new to kayaking, I've noticed that paddles come in a variety of lengths, (210 cm, 220 cm, 230 cm, and 240 cm) seem to be the most common lengths. I'm looking at purchasing a Ocean Kayak 13' Trident Angler kayak, how do I know the correct length of paddle for myself? I am 5'10, 240 pounds. I've been looking at an Aqua Bounds Manta Ray paddle from Austin Kayak, since I have a 20% discount from there for signing up as a new member.