• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 volt lighting for permanent?

jt24

Question

I am looking for so ideas on what works good for lighting. I have thought of the basic 12 volt light bulb but i was wondering if there are flourescents that run off of 12 volts?

23 answers to this question

After hearing all the rave reviews about the LED headlamps I bought a couple from cabelas and I hung them from the ceiling of the shack, it seems to work great and the best part is I have the headlamps for other uses as well AND they run for ever on a few 2AA's. Kind of a two in one deal! With the money you spend on lights and the power drain on your 12v you may want to try this approach. They run anywhere from $15 TO $40.

Oh and yes, I have seen 15w 12v fluorescents at unclaimed freight but they are not very bright and temperature will be an issue.

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 11-16-2002).]

jt24 - There is a large source of 12V flo' lighting out there - Makita has 12V handy lights, I have a Ray-O-Vac lantern which provides a lot of also. Check with the marine supply houses for more ideas on the 12V. Flo-tubes do last a long time as well.

All boils down to what you intend to use the light for ... if you're just looking for a little light in the tub of your Trap you can but those "Tapper-Lights" at Wally World for a couple bucks. Stick them to the side/front/back - tap them when you need light.

Seize the moment and tight-lines <"))><

BB-LDF

Forget about using a 12 volt dome light with a vex size gel cell. There a 7 anp hour batt and will be drained in a couple hours. The LED's Like Chiro menttioned is a good way to go. Also you can buy the LED bulbs serparate and put then where ou want.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 11-16-2002).]

How bout if you use a deep cycle marine battery that you bring with every time? I just got a used perm this year. The previous owner just used 2 coleman's and that's what I'll use this year, but I was thinking about putting in a couple of domes and single lights by each hole. I figured on checking out RV supply stores but don't know of any offhand. Anyone know of any?

Another option is 12 V rope lighting.

They can be rigged with a dimmer and strung where needed. Various colors are available, clear, blue, amber, whatever turns you on.

Great for mood lighting if ya ever have the girlfriend out for a late night of jig'n.

wink.gif

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I wouldnt bother with the flor. lighting, in cold weather they just dont work well and lose their brightness.
I use a 12v bulb on a deep cyc. bat. works fine for the one nite at a time trips.
the LEDs are a good choise but expensive, they might give you 10 times the time of a normal 50watt 12v bulb, but is it worth the $, when you could bring an extra bat??
if I was broken into Id rather loose a $4.50 12v bulb, than a $50-100 led fixture.

Well I was thinking about the light bulb thing but not sure how long the battery will last. How many LED lights would it take in a 6.5x12 for good lighting and how much light do they give off?

Does anybody know if those patio type lights that run @ 12 volts are DC or AC? I picked up a 7 watt deck light today for 4.99 that I might try. I already have enough lights (one LED unit with three LEDs that affords dim light) and a couple of tap lights to see whats in the tub. I'm thinking of using the deck light to mount on the front of the tub between the seats to light the fishing area. Since one of my seat units is already wired for 12v (I keep a gel cell in a box on the back of the seat base) I figured the extra light might be better than one of the tap lights. Many options but need to keep the amp draw down to a minimum to keep power for longer.....I can't see dragging a big ol' deep cycle battery around. Been there, done that and too danged heavy if you ask me.... Anybody know where I can buy the individual LEDs to make my own light fixture out of?..T

Tbone,
I just did a search on lycos a few weeks back for "LED lights" and I came up with more options and places to get them from than I had time to wade through. Didn't see a heck of a lot of difference between prices for the singles either. Some places you can get them already mounter with resistors in many number combos so you just have to supply 10-13v and your ready to roll!

Chiro....I answered my own question on the 12 deck light I bought. It's definitely 12vdc and it's gonna work just fine for what I want it to do....The LED strip lights that are for sale on the web are pretty spendy. I was hoping to cobble together my own. I'd probably like it alot better anyway since I built it myself. I like doing things custom and don't really like "one size fits all" stuff.... Thanks for the comeback...T

you can go to walmart and pic up regular house bulbs in the camping section for a couple bucks and go to the electical section and get extention cords amd a cheep round bulb holder and run and find bulk wire from any hardware store and even a switch if you want and put a plug outside of the fish house and run a plugin on the peice of wire and run battery clamp on the other and go right off your car batery you can get bulbs all the way from 25 watts to 75 watts!!
just my two cents

------------------
Dwight Skillings
[email protected]

jt24, For the last 7 years I've used 12v. fluorescents in my 8 X 12 fish house and loved them. It takes 6 of the "trouble cord" type lights to give more than enough light for a house this size, you could mabe get by with 4. They sell for about 10 bucks each in most hardware stores. I always use 2 batteries wired in paralell and recharge every 20 hours or so. I don't even bother to take the batteries home to recharge, just jumper cable them to your truck and let your alternator do its thing. Usually leave them on for less than an hour, works great.

Its true, when they are cold the tubes aren't very good, but I can warm the house up to 70 degrees in less than a half hour so its no big deal.

Polar Bear

Those 12 volt light bulbs run about an hour on a Vex battery.

I also think the white LED bulbs are about $3-$4 a piece! Keep that in mind if you're loking to build something or maybe buying some LED light off the shelf would be money netter spent.

Dave thats what I found with a 12 volt auto bulb and a vex battery. T-bone we used two outdoor low voltage lights with a small gell cell and got good battery life. The LED's cost$ 1.13 a peice. In a hardsided shack you usually have it blocked up off the ice, sometimes a foot ir more. To be able to see into the hole additional lighting is needed and a LED works good there.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 11-18-2002).]

The rope lighting I mentioned can be seen at this link if your interested folks?

(10' will run $25 plus a few bucks more for a dimmer switch.)

http://www.platinumsales.com/Rope/12vindx/12vindx.html

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-18-2002).]

Only $1.13 huh!. I didn't search more since I saw the three dollar apiece site. I'll have to check the prices a bit more.

Oh, you can buy just the bulbs for those landscape lights, too. 4 watts and up. About $3 a bag of four. Maybe solder some wires between them and have a string across the top of the house ???

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 11-18-2002).]

Where are the LEDs for 1.13 at? I'd like to get some and become creative. Do you need capacitors too? Yeah, when I was looking at those outdoor low voltage lights @ Menards, I asked the guy there if they would work off a 12v battery. He said he didn't think so. I questioned him further and it seemed he really didn't know in the first place. Glad I took a chance and brought it home.........positive + negative = light on!........T

The way it sounds, A lot of you are looking to light the whole shack up for extended periods of time. For those of you in this situation, look into some propane lamps to mount on the wall. I have two in my shack along with old 12v dome lights for immediate lighting in weeee hours of the night. The hel1 with luggin batteries and generators around. cool.gif