• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Graph cover/travel covers

MUSKY18

Was wondering what you guys use to cover your graphs while trailering your boats. Most of the time I take my front graph off, but if only going a short distance I will leave it on. One on my console never comes off. Had the plastic white covers that came on them (Lowrance), but am looking for something different. Saw a guy at the landing last year that had neoprene covers, but don't know where he got them. Any ideas?

Hiya -

I call the white plastic Lowrance covers 'blow-off covers.' Can't trailer with them because they go sailing eventually.

My solution? Very high tech: An old towel, and a big cloth/elastic band, which I am pretty sure is the waistband from an old pair of underwear. For short hops it works fine. If I'm going any distance or leaving the boat in storage between trips, I pop the units off and keep them in a softside cooler.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I had the stock Lowrance cover take a plunge last spring....Since then, I've used a towel and put it in a soft case. I always take it out when I'm done for the day before traveling. I also keep a small container of water/vinegar to get rid of the water spots on my screen. Nothing worse than a dirty depth finder screen on a sunny day.

I would try the velcro idea if it is behind a windsheild, if it is out in the open I would put the graph away.

When I am fishing I leave mine off the entire day, I don't put the cover on until I get back to the dock. I used to put the cover on when I was done fishing, but my first cover blew off just driving 40mph.

I have one of those neoprene covers from the big "C" store. This will be the first year I used it, but it fits on real tight, and looks good to boot. Also, it only costs $5 for my Lowrance 5" screen unit (LMS-520C). I don't see how it could possibly blow off, even while driving down the road at 70 mph...

I usually leave my graphs on my boat and usually don't cover them .... if I do cover them it's with the Lowrance white covers. I've never had one blow off, but I use a small bungee strap on the one on my bow - put the cover on, put the bungee strap around the unit and the cover.

I used to use the neoprene covers, but I didn't like how they held in moisture and condensation. Better to leave the units out in the air IMO.

I used to use the neoprene covers, but I didn't like how they held in moisture and condensation. Better to leave the units out in the air IMO.

Yeah... I can see where that would happen. Might get things growing under there if it doesn't completely dry out after getting caught in the rain. I really just want it on there when I'm travelling and I'll likely just take it off when I put the boat in the garage.

Well, Bret... like I said before, the big "C" store in Rogers has the Neoprene covers for just about every Lowrance and Humminbird unit made. I would suggest you test-fit the one you want on your head unit to ensure the best (read: tight) fit. I just tried it on the display models at the store. I say this, because sometimes a different cover than the one made for the unit fits better. I think the one I use for my 5-inch Lowrance units is actually made for a Humminbird 797c!

I too have the neoprene covers from cabelas on my Lowrances and they are wonderful. I have them on a smaller screen 5" and a larger 7" and leave them on while trailering with no problems. You have to be careful if they get wet though because they don't breathe as well as you think. Make sure they are dry or they will condense on the inside where your finders are.