Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old guy

Proposed Waiver of Northern slot restrictions for spearing

158 posts in this topic

Today the GF Herald had a story about fishing northerns on LOW - within that story was the following: A bill by Rep Tom Anzelc, DFL Grand Rapids, House File 0261, would waive slot

restrictions for spear fishing not only on LOW, but any other Minnesota water with protected slot limits.

It would seem this would pretty much end big northerns on LOW -

What are your thoughts?

I quoted the GF Herald when they said the bill was HF 0261-I looked it up and it is HF 0621,

Sorry for the error.

There has always been big northerns in L.O.W.....even before any slots were initiated...there is a spring tourney for northerns on the east side of the lake and the data from that tourney spans pre-slot & post slot regulations...the "average" size of fish caught and released during that tourney has shown the "numbers" of bigger fish to be negligable since the implemtation of the slots...As for Spearing...there is not enough spearing pressure on LOW to make any imact...if you're ever up there count the spear houses in the bays compared to the angling houses elsewhere...Norherns are a secondary choice of fisherpeople and "most" Northern catches on Mn waters of LOW are by chance while anglers are actually fishing for a different target species....

Zbay tourney started a couple of years after the slot was put into effect if thats the tourney you are talking about.

I go to the dnr meetings in the area that pertain to our fishery. 3 years ago we had the dnr disscussing the Pike fishery regs and possible changes as the 10 year slot reg had reached the 10 year mark. I was the only person in attendence in Roseau.

ALL of their graghs/statistics and such showed the population of large Pike was improving big time. Granted there have always been and always will be large Pike in the system but this slot limit has done a great deal in improving the size structure on this pond.

Don't see how the spearers would get an exception to the rule and certainly hope that they DO NOT.

fiskyknut

I'm behind Fisky on this one 100%! Protect the slot fish at all costs.

I used to see pike stacked up like cord wood on the spring ice. Dozens of 35-45 inch pike killed only for their flesh, or for multiple trophies by a single group of fishermen.

With the current regs I would optimistically expect to see 20 lb. pike more common in the south end of the lake every year. The fish are so healthy now, why would anyone want to compromise that?

As stated previously the slot has done nothing but help the fishery. As for "most" northern catches being by chance, check out the Swift ditch area right now and see how many guys have come from out of state to have the chance at a forty incher on a tip up. We have the potential to improve/maintain our trophy pike fishery and we need to do all that we can to see that it happens.

Personally I'd like to see spearing banned statewide...at the very least on lakes that are managed muskie lakes as well as lakes with pike slots.

Personally I am just the opposite. I have never speared, but if others enjoy the sport, then why can't they have the right to do it. The amount of spearers is minimal compared to the hook and line fisherman. I personally don't see the problem with it. I people want a compromise, why not relax the slot for spear fisherman and lower the limit to 2.

I agree with jerkbait. I agree with jerkbait. I don't spear, but think they don't hurt anyone. If we take away the spearing season these fishermen aren't going to stay home. They will just move to fishing walleye, crappie, or tip-ups for northern. It won't help the fisheries. So they fish for meat or trophy that won't change. The long and short of it is I think spearers are great in that they fish areas of the lake I don't want anyways, and they take a few fish I'm not interested in.

JBMASTERANGLER just wondering why you dont like spearing, yea you hear of some guys spearig mukies time to tme but anglers have been know to take muskies from time to time as well, just wondering what you opinion is

It'd be a quick fix in the fight to restore bigger pike statewide. With the few spearers in minnesota, it might seem like it wouldn't even matter, but every little bit helps. As far as muskies go, they are not allowed to be kept in the winter anymore, so the very few that do mistakenly get speared would be even safer out of season. And it's impossible to identify a slot pike in the water, so they need to be protected as well. So like I said, at the very least, ban spearing in muskie lakes as well as pike slot lakes.

I,too,would agree that every small bit helps.When the DNR restricted spearing on inland waters that held muskies,they simply did not go far enough.If one needs the primitive act of spearing to round out their fishing experience, stick to rough fish. I know of several fellows that bow shoot for carp,and say that is a lot of fun.It would not be my kind of fun,but I do not see the deletion of game fish there.I live on a lake that once held trophy Northern pike, and have seen what happened to the pike almost cleaned every larger fish in this body of water out. The stocking of muskies stopped that practice here, and now we have large fish back in the population.Plenty of "gators" can be caught on the wood's,by hook and line methods. So either on the ice,or open water,Hook'em,play'em,and either release them or eat the prizes of the catch.

i am not a spearer but if they like to spear, let them spear, we all have the same limits as them, if we take way their spearing why shouldnt they try takeing away our angling. and spearers actully bring in money to our state, they need to buy a extra licens so in my opinion keep the spears happy, they have just as much ight as us.

Anglers bring in by far more money than spearers do, that's not even comparable. I highly doubt any local businesses are going to notice any lack of money being made if spearing was banned.

I tend to think spearers have an advantage over anglers. Anglers cannot make a fish bite, and I guarantee the percentage of pike caught is fairly small to the number of pike that actually swim up to a bait just to look at it. So that leaves the curious and inactive fish open to spearers.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this either way.

Personally i love the whole slot idea ive noticed in the spot i tip up fish in since the whole slot was implemented many bigger fish are caught. You see in the spot i fish in on the rainy river it is heavily speared so i am a fan of the slot.

What about the issue of politicans trying to set detailed fishing regulations - I realize politicans are sometimes involved in broader fishing issues, and like to be involved in everything, whether they know anything about the issue at hand or not - but it would seem if politicans are going to be involved in details such as this, then why shouldn't they become involved in setting limits, determining whether downrigging should be allowed on LOW, and many other issues that one often hears disucussed in various establishments around the lake -I guess the question is should politicans instead of DNR be setting the details of fishing regulations?

What do you think?

I agree with you Old Guy. The politicians should leave desicions like this to the DNR. That is just like the whole deal with closing the hatcheries, before we know it we will have some strange desease in are lakes because the politicians know better.

niether am i, i just think if we take it away then why shouldnt they take something away from us, they enjoy spearing we enjoy fishing

My biggest concern is the ones spearing can not judge the size at that time until they get the fish on the ice. If it is between the slot they have to toss it back down the hole, DEAD. What a waist. Perhaps there should be a reg stating that if when spearing, you get a pike not in the slot, that is all you can have for that day.??? Rather than your limit of 3. Just a thought, I just hate to think of the pike that are tossed dead back down the hole just because they are in that slot. Either way the fish is dead.

Not sure on the answer but for those who enjoy spearing, there has to be a better way to deal with it.

HF1238....looks like this has passed the house and is currently in finance....

Sec. 47. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.385, subdivision 2, is amended to read:

Subd. 2. Summer Angling limits must be same as and spearing limits. (a) If the

commissioner reduces the limit of a species of game fish taken by spearing in any waters

under section 97A.045, subdivision 2, the commissioner must reduce the limit for taking

of the species by angling in the waters during the following open season for angling.

The commissioner shall not limit the size of a northern pike allowed to be taken by spear.

I checked this bill out again this morning and as far as "this part" of it goes it hasn't been changed and has pretty much passed finance...awating the companion SF to be reviewed and adopted...then I suppose it will be off to ways and means...

As a darkhouse spearer I think the rules just need to be fair.

Currently the laws and rules are not fair.

As you know a darkhouse spearer can angle though the same hole in the ice as they spear though. If a slot limit northern decides to hit the fishing line, swallows the hook, and is killed because of it, the fish is placed back in the hole and allowed to die, end of story. If that same sportsman, in the same house, fishing from the same hole with a spear, sees the northern, uses the method described on the MnDNR HSOforum (which can only allow 98% certainty), pulls up the speared northern, measures it and finds out that that fish was 1/4" over the lower slot limit, they need to call the conservation officer and face possible criminal charges.

So either make it a crime for an angler to unintentionally kill a slot limit fish or remove the law that makes it a crime for the darkhouse spearer to unintentionally kill a slot limit fish.

Okay after reading that apple/orange comparison post I am now thinking NO spearing at all on the LOTW is the best and only answer.

I was thinking spearers could be alright and do their thing by using good judgement, a wide enough buffer to make sure the fish is not in the slot. What is/is'nt a safe buffer to keep one from nailing a slotfish? Myslef iffin it looked any bigger than 26 or so I would'nt throw, and it had better easily beat 40 by a good coupla inches to be safe. Anyone who would hit a fish at 30.25 is a perfect example of poor judgement. I would like to think folks would use better judgement... Hmmmm that fish looks 29.5 and I'm gonna get it.. Right!

Not sure about your numbers as to fish mortality rates but for certain you put a spear in it and it's a gonner. Are all spearers more interested in tit for tat reg-wise changes than they are the health of the fishery, thats my way of thinking now.

Thanks for enlightening me and I will for certain voice my opinion at all future dnr meetings in the area which I attend. I am now 100% against spearing of Pike at all on this pond.

Thanks for enlightening me and I will for certain voice my opinion at all future dnr meetings in the area which I attend. I am now 100% against spearing of Pike at all on this pond.

Well, I will have to say. I am in 100% complete disagreement with you. I have nevered speared a day in my life and really have no disire too. But this is completely selfish in my eyes. Pike are pobably my most favorite fish to fish for and we love to eat pike. The spear fisherman kill many, many less then hook and line fisherman do, but yet some people make them out to be evil. I have seen slot fish at my own hand float after being hook to bad. Some in the 36-38" range. Hook mortality is real. So I guess I will have to attended the same meetings when in the area just to disagree. Also I thought those so called apple/orange comparisons were really good comparisons.