• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rope Formula

gunflint

Question

Is there a standard when it comes to rope dimension? What is the thinnest rope for a 20# anchor? What about mooring lines for the boat? I'm getting tired of tripping of large diameter rope all over the boat. Two anchor lines, mooring lines etc.

9 answers to this question

You can go with a braided fish line but the determining factor is what feels good pulling it from the bottom. I prefer at least a half-inch nylon or poly. Cheap plastic doesn't weather well and ends up as slivers in your hands.

1/4" even 3/16 will hold a 20# anchor in a solid core nylon braid on boats of 17' or less, the solid core construction is key to added strength. A 3' cable or chain length above the anchor will eliminate most concerns for cut-offs in sharp rock environments.

Thinner anchor lines are less bulky but are also harder on the hands and more difficult to get to hold in standard cleats. For this reason 3/8 solid core nylon braids are as thin as I go, and 1/2" is my personal favorite to use. I do a lot of anchor sets in a day when guiding catfish, and the easy on the hands factor is an issue for me as is easy and solid rope retention on my cleats.

Thinner anchor lines are less bulky but are also harder on the hands and more difficult to get to hold in standard cleats.

Last year early May out in front of the wigwam, my buddies rope had about 5 too many years on his rope, and with the current his anchor was acting more like a heavy wind sock. It was really not fun pulling up every 10 mins for 2 hrs. I was picking slivers out of my hand for a day or two. A little extreme of an example, but next time we go, I'm buying him a new rope!

I use a braided nylon rope. It has no memory, is limp, has shock absorbing stretch, and while I use smaller dia, it is soft and not abrasive on the hands. Ties well, and cleats up perfectly. When I pull anchor the rope will lay in the bottom of an icecream bucket or stay in a small pile on the floor. When the day is over its easily gathered with no twisting.

I's stay away from any twisted polypropylene or manila type ropes.

I use 1/2" on my anchors with 4' shock bungie things betweeen the rope and anchor. I also wind my rope up on extension cord reels to keep the mess at a min. Docking ropes are always tied to a cleat loose ends tucked away or stashed in a close by compartment.

I was up at Gander a couple of days ago looking around. I looked at the MN Kota Deck Hand 40. The rope was not more than 3/8th of an inch and was an 800 lb test nylon. I use a 5/8th nylon no tangle ropes. I've got lots of storage in my boat so storage is not a problem, but I've seen some boats with rope bags in them.

i have a 35# navy and a waterspike that i use in different situations. both have 1/2 inch rope. 1/2 inch is as small dia as i would use for reasons mentioned above. i also use a gripper style cleat on my bow to hold the anchor rope, they require a spicefic dia rope to work without slipage. i keep them in a stroage tub with holes drilled in the bottom so water will drain out. i don't use a lid as the tub didn't come with one. i found it in the ditch by my house. the deckhands look good on paper, but i just can't trust one of those holding a 35# anchor ripping accross mille lacs in a good chop.