• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I shoot trap once in awhile, I am going to start on a team this summer and I am looking for ideas on tools for the trade so to speak. Now when I shoot I just use an 870 pump but would like to upgrade to a single or double barrel trap gun. Any prefered ones. Also I bought a reloader, a MEC progresive. What are the going loads, casing ,shot size, powder, wads and any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All

If you go to a single barrel trap gun, that's all you can use if for is trap. A double allows you to shoot skeet, sporting clays, and hunt with it a bit depending on what configuration you end up with.

Single barrel trap guns, look at the Browning BT-99

Double Barrels look at Browning, Beretta, Winchester, SKB, Caesar G., etc. The browning Cynergy's have nice crisp mechanical triggers but are pretty spendy. I like the Browning XT, and the XS special high rib.

I would also encourage taking a peek at the semi-auto target style guns- Benelli SuperSport/Cordoba, Browning Gold Evolve Sporting, etc. They also allow flexibility in use for addtional target shooting and hunting. The benelli cordoba (same as the supersport except the cosmetics) is the smoothest shooting gun I have, and recoil is very very mild as is muzzle jump.

Remember, with a shotgun fit is EVERYTHING. If a gun doesn't fit you properly, you will never ever hit with it like you could with a properly fitted gun. Yes, you can "learn" to shoot a gun that doesn't fit you perfectly, but if you are going to spend target gun money you should buy the one that fits the best, period.

For fit, several manufacturers make single barrels and O/U's with adjustable combs. This usually adds about $200-$300 to the cost, but when you're already over $1000 to begin with, it would be dumb not to spend the exta $$ to buy a gun that will FOR SURE fit you. Many semi-autos now from Browning/Winchester, Benelli and Beretta have changable shims between the rear stock and reciever that allow you to fit the gun to you as well.

So remember, in guns with shims and adjustable combs they may not fit when the gun salesman hands them to you, but they can be fitted to you as you narrow down your options. Any decent shop should be willing to change shims for you or adjust a comb if you are very seriously considering purchasing that model from them.

I am no reloader, but shot sizes will be 7.5 and 8 in lead, and 7 in steel if your range requires the use of steel. Most guys run 1oz to 1&1/8 oz of shot. Wads are arraged by amount of shot and powder charge but even then there are options, someone who knows more than me can help you with that. Primers are 209s (209A), and you can get Federal, Win, etc, they all work, some guys have their favorites. Powders also come in several flavors, but common ones for 12ga target loads are Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays, 700x, etc.

Good luck and break some birds.

If like your 870 go look for a 870 TC wich is a trap competition version of your gun. If your looking at getting serious into this sport thier are lots to chosse from. I shoot the BT-99 plus wich is all adjustable from what % of the pattern you want to shoot high how high you want it to shoot length of pull and how you want the cheek peice. I have hundreds of thousands if not over a million rounds through mine and it's still ticking. As for reloading get a 1-1/8 oz bar and some diffrent powder bushings,I use the #30 bushing for regular trap with super target powder clay buster wads fed gold medal case winchester 209 primer for yardage trap I switch to the #31 bushing I don't even bother with the 7-1/2 they don't gain you hardley antything.