• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird or Lowrance

bassNspear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently trying to decide what to do... After going over to Olski's custom boat garage last night, I really wanna put a Side Imaging Humminbird on my boat, but I do like the Lowrance other than the fact they don't have side imaging... yet

I did however pick up a Vexilar FL-10! smile Better than the Lowrance flasher that was on there...

I think it depends on the price range you are talking about. If you are in the market for the biggest and best i would go with a Humminbird Side Imaging, There is no question!!!! That unit is by far one of the best, if not the best on the market today!!!

I haven't seen any of the new HD Lowrance units yet!!

if you get one of the new high def lowrance pretty soon they will have a add on for thier own side imageing technology. I heard its supost to be out at the end of the summer and those new hd units are sweet so that should be a very cool package

Currently running lowrance, and am glad I have not pulled the trigger on a HB SI yet. Can't wait to see what the HDS SI add on looks like. Everything I have read sounds like it will be as detail specific as HB SI. Price wise it looks like a wash afer you buy the lowrance unit and then the add on SI.

I really think Humminbird is starting to take over the market. When Johnson Outdoors (Minn Kota) took them over a few years ago they really did things right they have put a lot into R/D and it shows. You don't hear about to many people having problem with their units not working.

I run HB's have a 997 SI on the console and a 797 in dash and a 937 upfront. SI has a big learning curve but I am glad I have it. The reason I have the dash mount is because the 997 SI unit is really only good at slow speeds. You can add a second ducer and a ducer switch to get around that if you dont want a second unit i the dash. I used to run only lowrance and they are also great units. The reason I now have HB is that is what was on my boat when I bought it.

I think both companies make quality units. I know I would be happy with either. I have always been a diehard Lowrance fan. It wasnt until this last year that I fished with Humminbirds. And I only got those because they came on the boat I bought. Anyway, I have been more than impressed with the SI(997-987 on my boat) and it would be a cold day in hell to get me to take it off my boat.

if you get one of the new high def lowrance pretty soon they will have a add on for thier own side imageing technology. I heard its supost to be out at the end of the summer and those new hd units are sweet so that should be a very cool package
As far as Lowrance's "side scan" goes it does look pretty cool. There are still some ?'s about it that they are pretty tight lipped about. Like release date first it was the classic, then I-cast, the latest i've heard is the 1st of the year, so we will have to wait and see. Like alot of guys are saying I have had Lowrance my whole life but last year pre fishing with my 3rd $1000.00 unit in 2 weeks not telling me how deep I was and getting no help from cust. serv. I had a couple HBs. sent and would not go back. In fact my SI is the only thing that came off my boat when I sold it.

I have a LMS 520C and I hate it! It constantly stops reading bottom when you are anywhere near weeds. Lowrance is aware of this problem and can't seem to fix it. I am on my 3rd unit from Lowrance with no luck at all. I just installed the following update that came out 10/27/08 but I have not been able to test it yet. The last two years I have not noticed problems until we get decent weed growth.

"LMS-520C Update Version 2.4.2Warning: This update addresses issues some customers have reported with their digital depth reading flashing or the sonar chart stopping scrolling, typically in very shallow water with thick weed coverage.

Please note this release is still undergoing rigorous validation procedures, and is currently being made available as a BETA only for customers experiencing this specific issue. Customers not experiencing this issue should not update their units."

I don't post much but I think everyone should know what might be in store if they purchase the 520C.

As a side note when I reinstall my X-135 instead of the 520C, it works great!

HB for Navionics (console)

Garmin, because I don't want big hole in the dash console and for 2d sonar.

Low for LakeMaster (bow)

You pick! I guess I have the best of three worlds. smile I couldn't go with one or the other so I did both. Bird ducer was a pita to install but so far so good. I'm happy with both!

I am currently trying to decide what to do... After going over to Olski's custom boat garage last night, I really wanna put a Side Imaging Humminbird on my boat, but I do like the Lowrance other than the fact they don't have side imaging... yet

I did however pick up a Vexilar FL-10! smile Better than the Lowrance flasher that was on there...

Thinking back I must say it was pretty cool. Picture this Along side the garage was my 20ft. Cobra in the first stall was a 18ft Champion next stall was a Ranger 520 and Tonka's Skeeter 250. We should have backed it in just for a photo opp. I think the only thing missing was a Bass Cat.............Deitz?

LOL @ Olski.. would love to do a picture shot!!! that would be pretty cool to see all the diff brands all lined up. Then maybe we could race?

Give me a date and a time. I will bring the little red lund and sit in the water as you guys race by. I obviously wont enter the race, though if any of you are under 32 mph, I might be able to keep up.

South Center maybe? I know it gives Deitz the location advantage, but you can usually find a spot with calm water.

Originally Posted By: Bass Whacker
As far as Lowrance's "side scan" goes it does look pretty cool. There are still some ?'s about it that they are pretty tight lipped about. Like release date first it was the classic, then I-cast, the latest i've heard is the 1st of the year, so we will have to wait and see. Like alot of guys are saying I have had Lowrance my whole life but last year pre fishing with my 3rd $1000.00 unit in 2 weeks not telling me how deep I was and getting no help from cust. serv. I had a couple HBs. sent and would not go back. In fact my SI is the only thing that came off my boat when I sold it.

Olski,

Maybe im misreading the quotes, but,

Where are you seeing Lowrance sideimaging images.

They must have drove the boat through a flooded forest to get that image. LOL.

If I were in the market, a Bird would be the only choice for me. Too many people I know have had issues with the Lowrance units. Hopefully next year at tax time I can figure out a way to strap one of them to my boat. I would think throwing one on my little aluminum rig might be just a bit easier than the glass rides out there.

Funny thing is, the sonar would be more than I paid for my entire boat (even a 797.)

LOL @ Polar.. my buddie that I fished the FBL with last year just bought a 797 for his boat. He is excited...

I was impressed with this though.. I called hummBird the other day to ask about a suppressor cable.. I fully expected to be on hold over an hour likewith Lowrance. I was quite surprised, I was on hold all of about 8 seconds.. and had the new cable witin 5 days free of charge..

I have not heard a single bad report from the customer service side with Humminbird, one of the reasons why that will be the next electronic purchase for my boat. Stories like that put a guy at ease when considering a piece of equipment.