Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redline

Thoughts on opening day........

11 posts in this topic

I am curious what some of you guys' predictions are for this years opening weekend. I know it will depend on the weather the next few weeks, but last year was the best opening weekend I've had.

I fish up in the Brainerd lakes area and the fish were all shallow and aggressive last year. I was pounding them on 5" senko baits.

Looking at the late spring last year, do you think they were still in the spawn at this time? I did see some males on the beds, but a lot were empty.

I dont know but we had very good opener also. And the bit was on longer into the summer than some years.

I dont know but we had very good opener also. And the bit was on longer into the summer than some years.

I agree. I wish I would've kept records, as far as temp, air pressure, wind, etc. It was such a good weekend I just want to figure out if I can find similar results.

Yeah, hard to say... i am pumped to get out though. We keep getting teased by mother nature though, like the snow dusting from last night frown

Last year the weather was extremely lousy on opener (I fish WI so it was a different weekend). Couldn't trigger a bite anywhere. The second weekend though (coinciding with MN opener) fish were up shallow chasing spinnerbaits. Hopefully this year is 70 degrees with overcast and a light southerly breeze.

about 1 month till Im bass fishin!

well, if the ice is gone by then...last opener it was a close call

lucky dog!!!!

I dont think you can predict how good opener will be. I would say we are pretty close to normal as of right now? The good thing about mn, is you can usually drive a short distance and find a lake that will fish the way you want to.

I think it will be a good opener. A lot more normal than last year. My main concern is that the weeds aren't as bad throughout the year as they were last year on every lake I went to.

yeah, what was with the weeds last year, I noticed that too...

Sledneck-

I fished "stinky ditch" last year on opener. I guess the ice went off on Friday the day before opener. It was one of the best days of smallie fishing I have had. Water temp was between 41 and 42 degrees.

I think they just got such a late start that they were never able to catch up to what they should of been. I remember water temp in the high 40's in June, and not that far north.